Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #1 
Kytkattin

Arrow I wish they sold these in stores! (heaters)

Every time I go to Petco and Petsmart the (good) heaters are $30+. No wonder so many beginners don't want to shell out that kind of money. That is often more than the tank and lights together!
Before my LFS closed earlier this year , I found an Elite Mini heater for about $15. I bought it and figured, hey, why not give it a try? Even though it says "preset" on the package, it is adjustable. I like to keep her at a nice toasty 80-82.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi.../dp/B00106X8Z2

So, what items have you had success with but have trouble finding outside of the world of the internet? Please share links here. You might end up really helping someone out!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #2 
Badjer

I've had horrible luck finding any fish supplies in my area. Our Petco doesn't have a great selection, and Walmart had almost NOTHING. I have two more stores to check out before I just end up placing an order on Amazon for the stuff I need. Wish there was a decent freshwater fish store. We have one right downtown that specializes in saltwater, but nothing for freshwater fish unfortunately.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

The saltwater store doesn't have heaters and tanks you could use? I mean, I understand that decor and such would be scarce, but some basics seem like they would overlap...
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #4 
Badjer

They sell mostly large and expensive set ups...and saltwater fish. It's not a very big store either. I wish they did though!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #5 
audjree

i agree. i bought two heaters from petsmart, the first was around $17, and it didn't work at all. the second was around $22, and it made the water 86*, when it was preset to 78*. gah, but i just ordered the elite 25w from amazon, and i expect to receive it soon and get good results. (:
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #6 
CrazyFishLady

I've always been a big advocate for adjustable heaters, but when I set up a bunch of breeding tanks, I couldn't afford the $14-15 I usually spend for Hydor Theo's. I ended up buying tons of these: http://www.allpet.com/detail.asp?product_id=507210. They keep a 5 gal tank at a constant 80-82 and I've been quite satisfied with them.
CrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #7 
Bettawolf19

I found alocal petshop that takes great care of their bettas (drip system) and they ahve 25watt elite heaters for $10 and 50-100 watt for $22ish i think? I love that place :). I told them one day that I love how you have the betta's holders being filtered and the lady told me "Of course they are filtered bettas love clean water and space to move that's why some of them are in the community tanks"..I wanted to hug her.
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

i really want another whisper internal micro filter .. with adjustable water flow ..

http://www.aquahobby.com/products/e_whispermicro.php

it's the best filter i've ever had .. it's slim too and doesn't take up a lot of space .. and the best thing is the adjustable water flow !! can't find this anywhere !!

might not be a heater .. but a good low flowing filter is very hard to find .. this is not the 10i .. this is the model between the 3i and the 10i .. i really wish they would just sell this .. it's so frustrating cus they are only available in tank kits
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #9 
finsNfur

Wow, that Elite sounds fantastic! I've never been able to find anything that would heat a small tank, either. The heaters at my LFS's including Petco are super limited, all they have are heaters for large tanks. I have my betta in a 10 gallon tank just for the heat! I wish I'd known about this little heater. I'd rather keep my betta in a 5 gallon, I had been considering putting a divider in the 10 and rescuing another betta. :)
finsNfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #10 
Memphis

I seen the same heater, but only 25w in my local pet store. There were asking 24 bucks for it, not including taxes which end up being around 26 bucks. Amazon was asking for 11.65 for the same one =/
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote