Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #1 
Badjer

Question Sbd?

I've been worried about one of my Bettas, Xavier, since I got him about two weeks ago. *He stays towards the top of the tank, and when he is at the bottom, it isn't for very long. *He stays in one spot at the top of the tank for long periods of time, then will change positions and do the same thing somewhere else. *He holds himself with his tail pointed downwards, with his body slightly tilted. *His tail and other fins are always closed up (I believe this is referred to as "clamping"?). *His belly always has a slightly bloated appearance and is silver in color...though could this just be his coloration there? *To me, this sounds like swim bladder disease. *But I'm new to Bettas, so some help would be fantastic! *I'm really worried about him!

Housing*
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? It did, but it took up most of Xavier's side of the tank, so I currently have it removed in hope that it makes things easier for him.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided tank with another male. *Tank mate is showing no signs of illness...unless you count being a pig!

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets, once a day. *He recently had problems with bloating.

Maintenance*
How often do you perform a water change? 50% once a week when the filter was in. *Not quite sure what I should be doing now that I've removed it.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra water conditioner.
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not tested.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:*

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He hasn't really changed, but I find his bloated belly with the silver coloration to be off.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's been...odd since I got him. *He's not nearly as active as my other Betta is.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Shortly after buying him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I removed the filter so he didn't have to fight the current.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown. *He's only about 1.5 inches long body wise, so I'm guessing he's young.

Sorry I have no pictures...my dad took my camera hunting with him. XP
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I would separate him from the other male and do daily water changes (Acclimate him to temp and water chemistry every time) and fast him fora few days. You could float him in his side of the tank for warmth, but it's easiest to do the changes on a smaller container.

Usually fasting will do the trick. If you're suggested the pea method, I strongly suggest against it as that method is for constipated goldfish, not insectivores like bettas.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #3 
Badjer

Thanks for the response! I have him in his cup, floating in the tank. His stomach isn't really bloated anymore, but the whitish-silver coloring seems paler and seems to have spread a bit. Is this a symptom of swim bladder?

Also, I've heard that sometimes swimbladder isn't curable? Is it fatal?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

SBD is usually not fatal, just a stress for the fish to deal with.

If his stomach is getting pale that is worrying.

Has his poop looked normal?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #5 
Badjer

Well he's on his 3rd day of fasting so I haven't been seeing any poop. But what he had been passing before that looked completely normal. When I changed his water earlier, there seemed to be some white cobweb-like slime floating in the water. I'm not quite sure what this is...extra slimecoat perhaps?

He's beginning to look paler...I'm really starting to get worried. Also, how long should I continue to fast him? I got some pictures today using my friends camera.

This is how he sits all day. When he swims, he still clamps his fins together.

This is the best pic I could get of his stomach. The silver color is what seems to be spreading.

He's also been flaring his gills...not like a normal betta flare though. Just sort of stretching his gills out repeatedly.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

You can start feeding him now since he's no longer bloated. If he's not having trouble staying upright or sinking, then it's safe to take him off the epsom salt as well.

I don't know about the silver coloring, but hopefully clean water and some tlc will be enough.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #7 
Badjer

I fed him one little pellet for breakfast...and he looks bloated again. Unfortunately, I'm leaving to go out of town for a day. My neighbor is going to keep tabs on him while I'm away. He's still not active and is floating funny. I've had him off the Epsom slat for awhile now. It didn't seem to be helping so I didn't see a reason for him to be on it. He's just in his tub which has been getting daily water changes.