Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #1 
tkvalentine

Some possible fin decay, medicine question

Hello, all. I JUST today decided to give my betta fish (Vladimir) an early Christmas present of a bigger tank, better heater, and treats (upgraded from a 2.5g bowl with those little pad heaters under the gravel). Well, while shopping, I spotted another white and black double tail betta that I immediately fell for. So I ended up getting a 10g tank (which also included light, filter, and heater) and a divider.

The reason I mention all of the above is because I also got some Betta Fix medication for damaged fins/skin. Vlad seems to have a little wear and tear on his fins that I'd love to see heal up. My only concern is applying the liquid medicine to the tank when the new fish, Tristanislav, is perfectly healthy from what I can see.

So in short, would applying the medication to the water be harmful to Tristan? If not, would I give the recommended dosage of medicine for the 10g or some smaller amount since it's only one fish on one half of the bowl? (The divider separates them, but it's still got holes in it).

Thanks in advance!
tkvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #2 
Badjer

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new addition, however they say not to use Betta Fix medication as it contains some sort of tree oil that isn't good for Bettas. Typically when treating a sick fish, people put it into a smaller container so they can do daily water changes. One of my boys in my divided tank is sick right now, so I have him in his cup floating in the water for warmth.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 
tkvalentine

Thanks for the welcome!

I see what you're saying. My only concern with that notion is that I live in a basement, which is a much cooler portion of the house, and part of the reason the change of tank happened was so the heating would no longer be a concern of mine. So if I put him back in another spot, I'd be afraid of the temperature again. If I try to get a decent shot of the fins, would you or anyone possibly be able to tell me how they look, or if I'm just overexaggerating? I'm a bit of a spoiler on these guys, and I love them quite a bit, so it may just be the inner "parent" in me. Overall, he seems to be swimming just fine, if not actively.
tkvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #4 
Badjer

Pictures would definitely help! What seems to be the issue with his fins? Are they ragged, torn, or does he seem to have fin rot? If they're ragged or torn, it's possible that he's either tail biting or his fins are catching on something are tearing. It's amazing how delicate their fins can be! Fin rot is an illness that causes the fins to start turning black and fall off. Doesn't sound like fin rot though, if he seems to be acting the same.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #5 
Myates

Pictures would definitely be helpful to either rule out rot or diagnose it.
Otherwise it could be from decorations, tail biting or a filter too rough for him..

I would get a refund on Bettafix- as mentioned above it is a watered down version on Melafix, both have a tree oil in the ingredients that has potential to harm their labyrinth organ. So it's a gamble when using it- even the watered down version such as Bettafix.

For just torn fins, clean water is what is the best. You could add in a few drops of Stress Coat during water changes as it has an ingredient to promote fin growth. But other then that, if there is no rot you just want to be doing your scheduled water changes, maybe upping the % a little for a while to make sure rot doesn't form.

If there is rot then you would want to do the AQ salt treatment. (You will know if it is rot by the black, crusty edges of his fins, with it flaking off, or white cottony puffs at the edges)

But sounds like he will be very happy in his new home, and good find on a black and white DT, I love black and whites lol =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fins, medicine