Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #1 
Draug Isilme

How about a cork round?

So I was looking in the reptile department at PetSmart for driftwood and I came across some cork rounds that are used for turtles.. Has anyone on this site ever used them in their betta and/or miscellaneous fish tank before? I'm assuming if it's turtle safe, then it's bound to be fish safe, buuuuut ya never know.. Not to mention I'm not quite sure about the durability of these things. I loved the way they looked and it seemed better in comparison to Zoo Med's other version of a floating log for bettas- which I got one, but I'm going to have to use a coat of aqua sealant since it's beginning to fall apart -.- which is lame, I'm just glad I bought it online and not at my local PetSmart ($4 difference and that's more than enough for me xD)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3962443

Sooo... what do you guys think? It's also somewhat pricey, but my heart is really set on this thing, so I'm really hoping to hear good things... If not.. I'll get over it, I'm sure xD
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #2 
bastage

I dont think it would work well. Most likely it will float completely on the surface & your betta wont be able to get into it.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

I figured it would just float like a betta log does since water can leech into the hole. Even if it did float, I'm sure I could get a piece big enough for my betta to like and I'd still be able to weight it down in some way, get some drift wood and tie it down low enough, or take some suction cups and just attach it to my wall. My main concern is the durability and if it would rot and such.... The pieces usually have bark, but I've come across a thread with a person that said they boiled it and managed to get the rough pieces off so they could put it in their tank... the thread just didn't have enough info on how durable these things are -.-
Old 11-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Usually, if made for under water it would last a decent amount of time. Boiling it is a great idea, as not only with it water log it, it will also take off the rough bark and other misc. debris. If anything I'd say try it. I've seen people use lego and cups for pete's sakes
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

xD Hehheh.. Well, at least with lego's, you wouldn't have to worry about them rotting or eroding as much.... I didn't know that boiling would also make it sink, so I appreciate that info- I was originally thinking of getting a piece of drift wood, too, but.. meh, I dunno -.- I gotta figure out which route would work best for me price and functionality wise >.>
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Well, if anything, if you can find some (preferably not salt water logged) natural driftwood like I have (2 huge long pieces I may or may not harvest :) ) you can boil it, toss it in the dishwasher without cleaner... Cheaper, you can get the bark off, and not treated like "bought aquarium driftwood" which can save you anywhere between 10 and above 100 dollars! You can even hollow it out if you wanted, or make caves.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

I've thought about that, but I'd pretty much have to go out of my way to at least find any and gas prices are high here at the moment, so I'd end up spending at least $10 anyway if not more -.- And my dish washer has been broken for a while now >.>;;; But thanks anyway. If I find myself in a situation that's more convenient to get my own drift wood, I'll be sure to do it ^.^