Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #1 
BettaMiah

How do I set this up?

So I just got some Super Naturals black sand. I'm not quite sure how to put it in my three tanks. 2 3 gallons, and a 10 gallon. I believe they are all cycled. (Yes, my 3 gallons are cycled) So I know draining a cycled tank is a big no-no.

So can someone give me step-by step instructions please? In the 3 gallons I have Ryu and Yuuki my Bettas, then in the 10 gallon I have Kia my Cory Catfish. beau my Goldfish, and Echo my Pleco. Do I have to take the fish out?

Another question, is having sand with a Goldie a good idea?
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Sand with goldfish is a big no-no. They pick at gravel to find food, and could easily swallow the sand, which isn't good for them. Stick with gravel in your Goldie tank. As for the other tanks, just empty some water out as if you were doing a water change. Then scoop out the gravel and add the sand (make sure you rinse it VERY well). It's okay if a few grains of gravel are left. The sand will cover it. Oh, and definitely remove the fish first.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #3 
BettaMiah

Thank you!

I wanted sand for Beau because he always eats the gravel and swallows it, then goes through a horrible time trying to spit it back up. I'm worried one day he won't be able to spit it back up. I was also told it is okay because sand easily passes.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

Really? Maybe you should try it then. It's been a while since I read about it. I may have my information wrong.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #5 
BettaMiah

I was thinking about it...

But you know that saying- Better safe than sorry. But I guess here a barebottom would be best, but that wouldn't work for me.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

i wouldn't put sand in with goldfish either .. if he's eating and swallowing the gravel .. try finding coarser gravel they have it in different sizes .. or maybe try glass gems and marbles (its what i use for my goldie tank) something bigger then their mouths where there is no way for them to get their mouths around it
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

In my mom's 240 gallon goldfish tank, she has giant stones she got from the river and bleached for safety. They look great and are about 2-4 inches, too big for even the 2+ft koi to fit in his mouth. I know they sell similar ones in stores that are already polished and look really nice. It was just too expensive for her to do that for such a huge tank.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #8 
BettaMiah

I can't get river rocks. They would take up too much space, could pose as dangerous if one of my adventurous fish decided to wedge themsleves in it, and it also wouldn't fit for my decor.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Why not use sand for the bettas and rocks for the goldie? :) You can get some lovely smooth, polished, tumbled river rocks like this: http://rocktumblingsupplies.com/imag...xed-medium.jpg that would fit well in a ten gallon (I've seen them in use) and provide a surface that is smooth enough for your Kia, yet too big for Beau to swallow. Laid flat, they don't pose too much of a danger.
If you have facebook, search Acumen Aquatics. The lady who runs it does some gorgeous tanks with river rocks that might inspire you. :) She keeps cories in them.

In a cycled tank, draining it is ok as long as you keep the filter submerged in the dirty water you remove (if possible, keep it running in there). The filter holds 90% of the good bacteria, so at worst you'll have a tiny mini-cycle when you put it back it.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote