Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #1 
Bellus Bellator

Cooling bettas in summer

I've read a lot about the need for heating for bettas but what about cooling? I live in Australia and summer isn't here yet but my boys tank is already at 82 I've already spent a mint on my little man and there's no way my husband is letting em buy one of those stupidly expensive water coolers(the cheap ones are around $500!) So what do I do?
I've heard about floating ice cubes but is this really safe? are there any sort of plastics I should avoid putting the ice cubes in etc?
How do you cool your fishie kids in summer?

" Australia is called "Down Under" because it's as close as you can get to Hell without getting burned". Christian Shephard, Lost.
Bellus Bellator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I wouldn't worry about the temp if it remains in the mid 80s. If it gets higher, you can use a fan or leave a nearby window open to cool them down a bit. Keep them in the shade and don't turn on their tank lights.
Don't use ice cubes, it will create temp variations inside the tanks and that's not good for them.
OldFishLady kepps large outside tanks all year round and her fish were fine at 90+ degrees.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 
Bellus Bellator

Wow they can survive summer at 90+
I am worried that if I turn my lights off my plants won't get enough light but should it get above 84 I will place a fan on the tank and see how that goes.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellus Bellator View Post
Wow they can survive summer at 90+
I am worried that if I turn my lights off my plants won't get enough light but should it get above 84 I will place a fan on the tank and see how that goes.
Yeah, plants might be an issue.
You also have to check on the temp your plants can survive in, some need cooler temps.
Option would be to separate fish from plants for the summer if it gets too hot.
Where in AU are you? My friend sent me pics of hail the other day, she lives in Albion Park, NSW
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Yeah ice cubes can cause temperature pockets, which can cause temperature shock. Bettas can survive between 65-90 degrees - which is surprising, but they can. A fan can be directed at their tank to cool, shades down on the window, and even placing them on a lower level helps. "hot air rises" :) it is cooler on the ground, than on a desk.

I've had one tank reach... 86. I stopped using tank lights, and had the window open for the early morning and night - to have cool air circulate.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Your plants should be ok. My tank is heavily planted but it was ok even when the temperature rocketed to 90 during the last summer. The biggest worry is fluctuations - I don't know what part of the country you are in but around here the weather can change extremely quickly.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #7 
Bellus Bellator

Yeah I'm in Eastern Sydney so weather is fluctuating at the moment.When I wrote the post it was hot,sunny and humid,now only 5 hours later it's pissing down rain and thundering out(makes my cats happy though,they love an afternoon cool down)The tank's not cooling down though.
BB's tank is raised about a meter into the air and is about a foot from the fridge.Do you think the fridge would be producing heat?It doesn't feel like it is.
If push comes to shove this summer I'll put him on the floor in my lounge room and pray that the cats don't try to eat him
Old 11-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #8 
purplemuffin

If it does start to get dangerously on the edge, one thing you can do is move the tank lower to the ground of course. heat rises, so the floor is usually 2-3 degrees cooler than near chest level(maybe why my feet get so cold, lol!)

Also, increasing evaporation helps lower the temperature safely. Replacing a hood lid with a screen lid allows the air to evaporate which lowers the temp a few degrees. Increasing water flow helps increase evaporation, but that would be too stressful for bettas. If necessary, two small fans(like computer fans) also help cool down the tank a few extra degrees (one blowing cool air into the tank, one sucking the warm air out, getting that circulation going)

I learned a lot about how to keep a tank cool from researching axolotls(they like water to be like, 65 degrees or even less honestly) :) if you were to do all of these things, you could lower the temp possibly close to 8-9 degrees!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote