Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #1 
LittleNibbles93

Bloated female

My sorority has decided to bombard me with problems, silly fish.

Frenchy, my CT female is having some serious bloating issues. I know CT girls tend to be more fat then others, but she looks like she'll bust if she eats anymore.

Is there anything I should treat her with to help? I'm gonna put her in a cup for a few days so she won't pig out and steal everyone's food.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #2 
Badjer

When my boy bloated, I was told to cup him and fast him for a few days, and if the bloating continued to treat him with Epsom salt. Silly Crowntails...
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #3 
fishman12

Yeah. It's just a matter of waiting with bloating...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #4 
CrazyFishLady

If you aren't already, feed a few pellet sized peices of blanched shelled pea per betta once a week to help reduce bloating.
CrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #5 
emeraldsky

Peas arent actually good for bettas since the dont really eat veggies, theyre more for goldfish. Peas will make them bloat more.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #6 
CrazyFishLady

I've many times cleared out a bloated betta with blanched pea, so I'd have to disagree.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

I would fast for a day or two or so the epsom thing. I think its 1 tsp per gallon??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #8 
LittleNibbles93

Thanks, I'll fast her for a few days, and use espom salt after awhile. We don't have peas, my family isn't much of pea-eaters unless its a holiday.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #9 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFishLady View Post
I've many times cleared out a bloated betta with blanched pea, so I'd have to disagree.
Reason why most would recommend not to use the pea method is because it is a treatment for bloated/constipated goldfish. Bettas are insectivores, and therefor their system cannot digest the pea at all, nor do they get any nutritional value from it (and a lot of bettas, if not most, won't eat it as it's vegetable matter and they don't eat that in their diet. Some bettas will eat just about anything even if it's not good for them.. the little piggies!). You are basically putting something in them that can't be digested in hopes that it will help push out the other food since the body will do what it can to remove the unwanted food- the pea. It's like us eating a large rock in hopes that our body will use that mass to push down and out the excess food in our system. Not idea, not healthy, and sometimes it can cause harm.
It's best to use frozen/live daphnia for bettas as that will help them when constipated, and it is a food item that is good for them and can be digested properly, or Epsom Salt.

Last edited by Myates; 11-06-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #10 
CrazyFishLady

Thank you for elaborating on that. Maybe most on this forum would say that, but I have to say, in all my years keeping bettas, this is my first time hearing this theory. I've been doing some research, and this forum is the only place I have found this even mentioned. I'm sure it's out there and I just haven't got to it yet, but if accurate, it must be the hardest betta topic to find the facts on. For years I have fed my dozens of bettas peas, and I've never seen ill results, so I certainly can't help but be skeptical. Also, many carnivores typically do eat some vegetable matter occasionally, and just because they are carnivores it doesn't seem logical to me that they can't digest vegetable matter. Again, thanks for your post. I'm definitely intrigued and will be doing more research as I'm always eager to improve my husbandry when possible. :)