Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
Comet1993

Exclamation Help, please!!! =[!

Yesterday, Turbo's fins seemed fine.. There was one that looked a tad "crooked", and the other one had looked the same it had always been. This morning, he looked fine when I turned on his light and told him good morning. Tonight, I went into my room, and his fins look VERY different. o.o It's so drastic that it looks like he morphed into a crowntail!! He's still swimming around and flaring. I noticed him breathing heavily the other day, but he was still active, and I thought it was the stress of the water change. He's breathing normally now. His fins are just very, VERY different. Sometimes, when he swims, his caudal fin isn't spread out now. =[ Sometimes, it is.. What's happened to my betta????? Please, help! :(
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #2 
Loralyn94

Could you try and post some pictures so that we could see what your talking about? It makes it easier on people who give advice to know what there thinking is wrong is actually whats wrong.

Is there any dark edges on his fins? Or do they look like theyre shredded and torn?
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 
flowerslegacy

Hi Comet, Any way you can post a picture? There are a lot of folks who can help diagnose the issue, but it's hard to imagine what you're describing. Also, under "Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies" (the same place where you posted this thread) there's a form you should fill out. It asks genereal questions ie. tank size, food type, etc. You can cut and paste it into your post. This will really help!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #4 
Comet1993

Housing
What size is your tank? Ten gallons; about eight gallons with decorations and substrate.
What temperature is your tank? Eighty-two degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Occasionally; I only turn it on sometimes.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No other fish/creatures.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraMin Tropical Granules.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually, twice a day, a few granules each time. I haven't fed him today, because I thought i'd give him a day to "digest".

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? About once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 25%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Not lately.
Ammonia: Last time I checked, it was between 0 and .25..
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: 7.6, I believe.
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins seem almost like a mutated crowntail's.. I previously believed he was a round-tailed betta... Now, they all seem ripped.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I've not really noticed any behavioral changes in him..
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tonight; just minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No; I wasn't sure how to proceed.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I'm aware of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not exactly sure.. He's still rather small; maybe between six months and a year?

I'm currently trying to get some pictures.. He's still moving pretty quickly, so it's really hard to get a clear shot of him with my cell phone.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #5 
Loralyn94

If theres no dark edging and the fins just appear to be ripped, it could be tail biting. But theres no way to tell for sure without seeing pictures.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #6 
Comet1993

Here are some of the pictures that I was able to get... I know; they're not the best. :( Sorry..
In one, you can see how he clamps his caudal fin sometimes.. Not often, but occasionally.
In the other ones, you may be able to see his caudal fin better in the reflection on his tank...
I did my best. =[ I hope these help!!
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #7 
Comet1993

The edges seem to be a darker blue than the rest, but his tail has always had color variations.. I'm not sure if the color has really changed or not.. =/
Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

Doesn't look like tail biting....Maybe he got caught in the filter?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #9 
Comet1993

The intake of the filter doesn't really seem to be that strong. He's been in this tank for about 2.5 weeks, and he's not had a problem with that before.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #10 
Comet1993

Here is a picture that I found that looks similar to Turbo (not coloring):
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...e/DSCN5090.jpg
However, the tears/rips/whatever they are are smaller and seem to be between each individual ray or every other ray..