Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #1 
Alicat22

Exclamation Just changed the water and Betta is on the bottom gasping

I read that you should occasionally change all the water in the fish bowl...I treated water with calcium and nutrafin and left it for about 24 hours for it to match room temperature. I put my fish in a baggie with his old water, filled his bowl with the new water, and floated him in the baggie in the water for 20 mins before releasing him into the bowl. He was spazzing out a bit in the bag and when I released him, he went to the bottom on his side gasping. He's still doing so after 20 minutes. He looks like he can't swim properly when he tries but I don't see any fin damage. I've changed the water before but never had this problem. What might be going on and what can I do to fix it?
Alicat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #2 
Indyfishy

Hi there, welcome to the forum!
How long did you float him in the bag in his bowl before you released him? Was the water very warm/cold??? You should probably change the water again and not add the calcium, bettas do not need to have calcium added to their water, that might be what's causing the problem. All they need is water conditioner =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #3 
EverythingNice55

My betta does the same thing! He freaks out every time I change his water. He acts like he's dying, but then he goes back to normal. Maybe he is just like my betta. Or maybe he's sick. I hope he gets better soon! :)
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, bottom, emergency, gasping, water change