Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #1 
Gamma

Heater ??

I have a five gallon tank with filter, heater, and decor ready for a betta. My mother allways say's wait tell spring the fish will do better. I have a heater does it matter?
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

I have got plenty of bettas in winter..Just make sure to have everything setup and slowly acclimate the betta to the tank.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #3 
Myates

Yup, the heater should keep the temp just right for the betta (between 78-82*F) all year long. So you shouldn't have to worry about waiting.
As mentioned above, just make sure to acclimate him properly to both temp and chemistry, by floating his cup in the tank for 20-30 mins, and every 10 mins or so take out some of the water from the cup (dump it down the drain) and put some of the tank water into the cup. That way you avoid the risk of putting him into shock from sudden temp/chemistry differences.
Make sure you have a thermometer to tell the temp for the tank, and once it's at the correct temp, then it will be fine to put one in =) Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Your mother is right... they are not doing great right now in those super cold cups at the store.
Bring one home now and get him nice and warm... don't let one of them out in the cold during winter.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #5 
SnowySurface

It kind of depends on how you travel.

I've gotten bettas all year round because I own a car or could get a ride from relatives. If you can only use public transportations, then it may be a bit rough on the betta to wait for a bus in 40F temps this time of the year. If you are taking the fish from the store to a heated car then straight into your house, then you should be fine.

But the oposite can be true during the summer. If it's a 105F day and you are waiting for a bus in that heat, then the cup water can get as high as 95-100F (if you can't find shade and the sun is beating down on the cup.) Clearly this is fixed by car A/C for the trip home, but I know there are pet owners who don't have a car or license.

If you have to walk 5 miles up hill both ways in this climate with a betta cup to bring your new pet home, then I would wait for spring or early fall. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #6 
Gamma

thanks that helped.
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote