Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #1 
chicagojo

So frustrated with Petco.com....and don't know what to do now.

So I ordered 2 Hydor Theo 25W adjustable heaters from petco.com a few weeks ago...first they were back ordered...then I got an e-mail saying they had shipped but the link they provided for tracking was invalid...then I called CS and was told they were scheduled to arrive today. Got home from work and the box was here...with ONE heater inside! Called CS again and they said they shipped 2, presumably in same box, but there was definitely only 1 in there. They offered to credit me for the cost but I said what I really want is the heater, ASAP and they said it would be 13-15 days, at which point I told them to just forget it and give me the credit.

I called around to all my local pet stores and no one stocks this heater or, it seems, any adjustable heater for small tanks (we got the x-large critter keepers which I think are around 2.5G). One store said they thought they could get something like this by mid-week next week but couldn't guarantee it would be this exact unit.

I am so frustrated because my kids and I had set aside tomorrow as "fish moving day" and were going to spend most of the afternoon getting our bettas set up in their new homes and acclimating them.

Now I have a huge dilemma: I have the possibility of moving one of our 2 bettas out of their tiny little 1G unheated bowls (I have been keeping them wrapped in fleece baby sleep sacks, esp at night, to keep them as warm as possible) and into a 2.5G heated tank...but how to I choose which one? They are both healthy right now, so there is not clearly one that would benefit more vs. the other. Complicating matters is the fact that one "belongs" to my son and the other "belongs" to my daughter...so not only would I feel guilty about the fish that doesn't get the immediate upgrade, but one of my kids will be very upset about it as well. And g-d forbid if something should happen to the fish who stayed in the 1G during that time...

I did a lot of research before choosing this particular heater, but I'm wondering if I should just buy something else that's available locally so we (and the fish) don't have to wait any longer. I feel guilty every day that they have been without adequate heat all this time.

Does anyone have any thoughts about another adjustable heater that's designed for small tanks? I could make another round of calls to local pet stores tomorrow to ask about other specific makes/models. Or any thoughts about whether to go ahead and move one fish and let the other wait? I feel like I am getting way too emotional about these fish...
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 
Leeniex

I buy mine from amazon and get two day shipping. I never had good luck with petco.com. I use the same heater and they work perfectly.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #3 
Leeniex

Wait scratch that.... I use the Elite 25w.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Can you get the Hagen Elite 25W locally? They work pretty good. I have 5 of them. Due to lack of $, I didn't get them all at the same time and a few fish had to go without a heater for a few weeks.

I know for me, the selection of heaters is small and the prices are like $45 for ONE stupid heater. So I got ALL of mine (and I have 9 in total) all off ebay.

Just avoid the tetra preset ones. Some people say they work but for me, I have a 50 W and it cant even heat 3 gallons of water to 78.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAGEN-ELITE-...item415b6d3311

THEO
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydor-THEO-A...item3f05a51985

Im sure amazon has them too

Aqueon heaters are also good, as are marineland ones.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-04-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #5 
chicagojo

Well, I am happy to report that my LPS has come through for me - they have another Hydor Theo on the way and it will arrive on Wednesday! Woo-hoo! Now our little guys have just a couple more days to wait...

Meanwhile, I am getting a little nervous about moving them into the heated tanks. I am a little paranoid that something bad is going to happen. I got some good advice about acclimating them so I will follow that and will also try to move them in the morning so that we can be keeping an eye on them for the whole day to make sure things are going ok.

I have one other quick question: I read the instructions for the heater and they talk about it as if it is going to be used in conjunction with a filter that will help distribute the heat evenly. Our tanks won't be filtered - is it still ok to use these heaters, and is there any danger of one part of the water getting too hot and other parts not warm enough (they are 2.5 G)? Also, is it dangerous for the fish to swim right around the heater? Our fish are currently fascinated by the thermometers in their bowls and both love to slip in between the thermometer and the side of the bowl - I don't think they will be able to do this anymore in the tanks since the sides will be flat, not curved, but I am worried they will try to and will hurt themselves or burn themselves in the case of the heater. Any advice/reassurance about any of this?
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote