Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #1 
BettaBuddy101

7.4 US gallon stocking :)

I'll be buying my betta 7.4 gallon tank soon and I was wondering if I'd get away with anything else in there with him. I'm quite happy him being by himself with some shrimp/snails, but I'd love to have a small group of pygmy cories with him if I can. I plan a sand substrate, silk plants and some driftwood with java fern or anubias.

So, would I get away with a betta and 5-6 pygmy cories? Thanks
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Pygmy cories are pretty active little critters. I wouldn't recommend them in less than a 10 gallon so they have plenty of room to zip around. You could *maybe* get away with 4 but I personally wouldn't.
Sounds like a gorgeous tank, though! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #3 
tf1265

Here is a proflle on the dwarf cory:
Dwarf Cory (Corydoras hastatus) Profile

Personally, I love regular cories. I have a groups of peppered cories, false julii cories, and bronze cories in my tanks and they are by far my favorite fish. Very active, very peaceful, and fun to watch. And they do very well in groupd of 4 or 5 in a 10 gallon tank (just make sure you get 4 or 5 of the same species!). Just a thought :)
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #4 
BettaBuddy101

The link states a 5 gallon minimum for cories, after research, I've found that it's more 10+, any views anybody?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #5 
hedgehog

I would say that it depends on the particular species of cory, how big a group you want to keep, and the footprint of the tank. In a five gallon for dwarf or pygmy cories I would keep 4 maybe 5 if it were me. Could it be done? Sure. Would they be happier in a ten gallon, or any larger tank, with more of the same species? Most definitely. I personally wouldn't keep them in a five gallon tank but it can meet their minimum requirements if the person is willing to put in the extra effort for the cories.

Last edited by hedgehog; 11-11-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: misspelling
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #6 
BettaBuddy101

The tank has a footprint of 30cm by 33cm, with a height of 38cm. To be fair, I was looking for whichever dwarf species my LFS can get hold of (they take orders, but incase they weren't able to get all 3, I'd take/choose between the ones they could get). I prefer the looks of C.Hasborous, but I don't mind C. Pygmaeus or C. Hastatus either. I was thinking a group of 5 or 6. However, I obviously don't want to overstock the tank or cause the fish to have a home that really isn't right for them. Would they need any special requirements or maintenance if I were to keep some?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:33 AM   #7 
BettaBuddy101

What about a couple of otos, would they work?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #8 
heathbar

It might be a little cramped for Oto's. Plus I think they really need a very established tank with lots of algae/biofilm or a heavily planted one to thrive due to their picky eating habits.
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #9 
BettaBuddy101

Being aware of the established tank idea with otos, I could add them after the tank has been established for some time, but I shan't go for them if they aren't going to be happy in there, what tank size would be more apropriate for them?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #10 
heathbar

According to seriouslyfish.com, which normally has very good information, they say you can keep a small group in a tank as small as 30cm x 20cm x 20cm (about 12.5L). That doesn't take overstocking into account though, just space to make sure they are comfortable. I've personally never kept oto's in anything smaller then 10 gallons but I know a lot of people who have kept them in nano's much smaller then that.
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7 gallon, betta, cories, pygmy cories