Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #1 
hmckin20

What.. is this?

Hey guys,
I spotted a weird spot on Orlando yesterday and I resolved to watch it, because it looked like she'd scraped up against something. I came back today and it's worse.. and it looks like it's getting at her face and fins too. I'm not sure if she's batting herself around or if this is a fungus or something...?

I took some pictures-

You can kinda see in the second one where her back fin is getting splotchy and transparent for some reason..

She's acting generally fine, and neither of her tankmates (two other girls in a divided tank) are showing symptoms.. which is why I am split on what it is. She's eating, not clamped, swimming around fine as far as I can tell.. I put her in a heated QT tank though with some AQ salts and nothing but a really soft plant. I wanna check out her own plants for any wires or anything before I put them in there.. or make sure it's not a fungus. I've got API Fungus Cure at ready.

She normally looks like this:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10Gal/ .5 QT tank
What temperature is your tank? 78 (10G) / 80 (QT)
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two other girls in her 10G.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta pellets, freeze dried blood worms once a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% every other day and 100% every two weeks because it isn't filtered yet.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Usually API Stress Coat, sometimes Aqueon Tropical Fish conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her little lips seem to be unusual.. and there's that weird splotch on her back. And her fins are getting splotchy in some parts.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't. She clamped up a bit when I put her in the QT tank, but other than that.. nothing really.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday, possibly a day earlier.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put her in a heated QT tank with a single soft plant (from a different aquarium) and some AQ salts.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None at all.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not certain.

I'd appreciate some help guys. Until I know what this is I'll continue a 10 day AQ salt & daily 100% changes routine.

Last edited by hmckin20; 10-25-2011 at 07:29 PM.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Awww poor girl! Is it fuzzy at all?? It kind of looks like columnaris.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #3 
hmckin20

yeah, she's none too happy :(
it is kinda fuzzy.. it looks like she's peeling or something.

i read the columnaris description.. it definitely fits with the cottony stuff at her mouth and disintegrating fins.. and the weird patch is in front of her dorsal fin..

i don't have any of the described medications, should i try the fungus cure?

also, weird symptom update: she's still eating, but she floated onto one of her sides when she ate one of her pellets.. ate the other one normal.

another question:

Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).

does that mean Mardel's Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II AND API Erythromycin together OR API Triple Sulfa + Jungle's Fungus Eliminator?
Or does it mean any of the above + Jungle's Fungus Eliminator?

Last edited by hmckin20; 10-26-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:50 AM   #4 
hmckin20

I'm gonna get her meds tomorrow if anyone would help me out with the above question.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #5 
hmckin20

Update: Okay, I went and bought API Triple Sulfa. She just got another water change and a dose of Stress Coat along with the API and some AQ Salt. I plan on doing another water change tonight.. hoping she makes it through. The tank is ridiculously cold, as in lower 70's.. she's clamped and none too happy. Not eating either. But the meds are in there and I hope they work. Cross your fingers for Orlando's sake.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #6 
hmckin20

update: Well Orlando is doing much better this morning :) She started eating soaked pellets last night and ate three this morning. What she didn't keep down she went to the bottom and scooped up, and she's looking for more right now. :) She's also swimming around a bit more today. I hope this means she's gonna make it!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

good!! Glad she's eating..sounds like a fighter! :D
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #8 
hmckin20

I am too, thanks! :'D Yeah I definitely think she's gonna make it, especially with how she's acting today.. keeps poking her nose along the bottom of tank and swimming around.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #9 
hmckin20

Another update: there was a big fuzzy white patch right in front of her dorsal fin but I just took a look and it's not there now. I don't know if that's a good thing or not but it looks a lot less of a lesion. She just ate two unsoaked pellets and I'm still keeping the temps down, just in case.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #10 
hmckin20

Also, I appreciate the very ~many~ helpful posts from this community. It has really inspired me to know I can get questions answered concerning the care of my betta whenever I have them.

Just kidding. Thanks everyone for ignoring my very visible thread.

A sincere thanks to only two posters here.