Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

she still has stress stripes?

Ok so i got my female Adalida from petsmart about a month ago. She had stress stripes when i bought her (one of the reasons i got her, wanted to give her a better home ya know?) She's in the 10g cycled corry cat tank and seems perfectly happy and healthy. Started eating the day after i got her. Never had a problem with the corrycats. her tank is heavily planted. She still has her stress stripes though after a month of owning her. And they're very vibrant too, don't seem to have faded at all. Any ideas on how i can help her or is this a symptom to some other problem? Filled this out for you guys

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes a 3g filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 corry catfish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikkari Betta Pellets (about 3-4) and San Fransisco Bay bloodworms as a supplement once or twice a week (those i usually dump in the tank and she shares with the corries. She usually gets 3 down before stopping)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 6 days a week and fast one day. Once a day in the pm

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat and Aqueon Water Conditioner for freshwater fish

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

have not tested it but considering testing it tomorrow

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? hasn't changed, thats the problem, lol
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? very happy, perky, energetic female
When did you start noticing the symptoms? since i got her
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i've been using stress coat and thats about it
Does your fish have any history of being ill? well... since i got her
How old is your fish (approximately)? i've had her for a month and she seems fairly large but i very obviously a betta
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The stripes don't always mean stress-its not uncommon for them to have them all the time....stripes, color changes are forms of communication and camo....sounds like she is doing well and brightened up for you....I suspect her stripes are her way of blending into her environment..camo....

Usually with stress related stripes an color changes- you will have other signs/symptoms...like hiding, clamp fins, lethargic, stop eating...etc.....the stripes alone is nothing to worry about.....

I would however, increase your water changes to 50% weekly with your bioload-even with the live plants-especially if you are adding plant food...unless this is a soil based tank...

Love to see some pics....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-07-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #3 
ManInBlack2010

Ok awesome, thanks for the reply OFL! I'm glad to hear it may not be because of stress and i'll definitely up the water changes. The water just never turns cloudy or looks dirty and they're good at eating all the food up thats why i wasn't doing them very often :(

and i'm loading pictures now! gotta re size them real quick first
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #4 
ManInBlack2010

Sorry the pictures are blurry, my camera is crappy and she's not a very good model, haha

her's a picture of her tank
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #5 
ManInBlack2010

i'm sorry the pictures are so big i tried to resize them, i guess it didn't work