Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #41 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
No, they didn't, but you don't land there without being published in the first place. :p

I won't deny that it's popular and an engaging story, I just find his writing style a little immature at times. It's the same with Harry Potter, though - the majority of people only care that the story line is full of fun and adventure, rather than focussing on the way it is written. I like a good adventure as much as the next person, but as an English major (and even before I was) I'm nitpicky about written style, and I just don't think his is that great.

If you want amazing storylines, great writing and a general amazingness, try Scott Lynch's "The Lies of Locke Lamora". My favourite book ever. ;)
I think YA lit is a little immature because the writers are trying to reach teens and tweens. I happened to be a reading from an early age so my reading comp was higher than most. So, I could handle mature writting styles without much trouble. However, I also had a friend with a learning disability. She wasn't stupid, but she would get lost in a book if it was written "too fancy" (she explains it better than me).

I think when a book is aimed at a nitch of people who are just dipping their toes in the water, the writting style has to be a bit immature at first. I happened to be reading books on my own since first grade. Some readers don't blossom until they are in Middle school or even high school. If all YA lit was written for kids who started reading as early as I did, then there would be a lot less teens reading.

Besides, the kids who did start reading as early as me will read older books. I was reading Roots by Alex Haley by my Freshman year of high school. If all YA lit was written for my level of reading comp most high schoolers' heads would explode. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #42 
Pitluvs

Right now, I'm reading the Bible haha I'm not a religious person, I just never read it and found a copy on my eReader so I figured why not! I don't have time to read an actual paperback though.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #43 
Bombalurina

I want to read the Qu'ran. I'm a Christian, but one of my best friends is a Muslim and I'd love to know what it really does say - you hear so many stereotypes.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #44 
Pitluvs

Quote:
I want to read the Qu'ran. I'm a Christian, but one of my best friends is a Muslim and I'd love to know what it really does say - you hear so many stereotypes.
That's actually a pretty interesting idea! Thank you for posting that!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #45 
Rosso1011

Right now I am buried in Biology - Life on Earth with physiology. J/K.

I don't get too much reading time this semester but I have been working on In My Own Words by the Dalai Lama.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #46 
Marvelous

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Game of Thrones! "Winter is coming."
Yes! I'm in A Feast for Crows. Hear me roar!
Marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #47 
BunnyCates

Quote:
I'm revisiting my childhood and re-reading Deltora Quest. I'm up to the Valley of the Lost.
I just bought that entire series for my daughter, is it good?

I'm a hundred pages or so into Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
BunnyCates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #48 
SaylorKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Movie coming out next year!!!!
I know. I've watched the trailer that was released last week like 50 times already. I'm so excited. My friend and I have already made a date to go see the midnight showing.

I'm on Catching Fire right now. Reading has been put on the back burner for a few days with school starting again, but I do at least get a chapter or two in before I go to sleep no matter how late it is!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #49 
SaylorKennedy

On Mockingjay now. :)
Unexpectedly finished Catching Fire last night. Went to read like 2 chapters before bed and the next thing I know it's 1:30am and I finished the book. Haha.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #50 
copperarabian

I'm reading Temeraire, it's a alternate history during napoleons time where part of the military force is people who ride on dragons. The main character had been a captain of a navy ship and after defeating the ship and searching the cargo they come across a dragon egg. and the story gets pretty awesome :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote