Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #1 
Pataflafla

Getting New Stuff

So the heater in my new 2.5 gallon is suspect of harming Ratchet (as are the new plants). It's a 25 watt Topfin adjustable as well as fully submersible. I believe it's leaching something into the water since the temperature has remained at a very nice constant 80.

I'm going to be going back to Petsmart/Walmart in the morning, so I want to know if these heaters are any good:

BiOrb/BiUbe tropical heater (I don't know if Petsmart will have any suitable to a 2.5 gallon)
Fluval submersible (also don't know if there will be a correct size for me)

If not, I think I may try a Tetra submersible heater from Walmart, as the one I have right now in my 10 gallon has given me absolutely no troubles.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

I'm also open to suggestions, but I'm not going to trust another Topfin heater.

I'm iffy on ordering, but I can do it. It's just getting colder here and my family likes the house to be fairly cold as well, so the sooner I can get a safe heater, the better.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

Alrighty. Here's what I'm looking at listed in what I'm considering the most. Any opinions or additions are greatly welcomed.

Eheim Jager
1. http://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Jager-Aq...564238&sr=1-12
Elite
2. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi.../dp/B00106X8Z2
biOrb/biUbe
3. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3&lmdn=Wattage
Fluval
4. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3&lmdn=Wattage

5. Tetra model of appropriate size
Old 11-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #4 
mywingedhorses

I have the Fluval heater in my tank. I think it's coloring and design make it a bit more inconspicuous as far as heaters go but mine isn't the exact temperature I have it set at. It generally is a few degrees higher than what it is set at, which works out fine since I pick the settings based on what I know it will heat up to. The heater I use is the appropriate wattage for the tank so I don't know if this is just my heater or it has a tendency to be a bit inaccurate. It also isn't fully submersible, there is a min and max line on the heater that you are supposed to keep the water level between.

I've never used the others but I've heard a lot of complaints with Tetra and a lot of good things about Eheim Jager heaters.
mywingedhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #5 
NoahG

I've seen several people on other sites state that they've learned (from contacting the company) that the Fluval heaters are, in fact, submersible: the labeling is due to Canadian laws, apparently.

Just wanted to put that out there, as otherwise I can't really help. I'm considering getting a Fluval once I get my tank, but that's namely because that's what I know at this time that I have available and I like it a bit more (aesthetically speaking) than the Aqueon Pro series heaters.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #6 
bastage

The Elite all but disappears when in the tank. There metallic all the way around (atleast my 100w one is) so that they take the color of whatever is around them.

I also have a 50w EHEIM in my 20 tall sorority. It works very well, but is visible moreso..

Given the size of the tank I would go with the elite. It should do the job well & save a few bucks at the same time.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #7 
ksage505

I think the tetra submersibles are perfectly fine. I have one in my 2.5 gallon as well as two of my other aquariums and have had no problems with them. They're pretty easy to hide, just put a plant in front. They also seem to be less expensive than some of the other brands.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

In my impatience, I ordered an Eheim Jager 25 watt from Amazon last night. I think it came out to around $26 including shipping.

I don't really care for aesthetics when it comes to heaters since all of my tanks are in my room. I just wanted one that isn't going to harm Ratchet any more and is reliable. I've heard nothing but good reviews for Eheim, so hopefully I won't be the bad experience.

I have a Tetra in my 10 gallon that has given me no troubles since I bought it over 4 months ago, so I'm trusting that brand more than Topfin for heaters.

I'm also looking into getting possibly sand substrate after the heater arrives for live plants (Looking into Anacharis and a moss ball for sure. My Petsmart doesn't carry what the site says are in store, only partial).