Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #1 
Indyfishy

She has ick... sorta?

Woke up this morning to find Daisy with little salt-grain-like dots on her back x_x She started wiggling around and getting excited when I came up to her tank this morning, and they all ended up falling off. Should I quarantine her or treat her in the main tank since they all fell off???

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? mid 70's
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?she's getting a heater today.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin betta pellets, Omega One betta buffet flakes, and freeze dried blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one 50%, one 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She had some little white spots on her, but they fell of when she got all excited.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She was a tad sluggish this morning, but she seems ok now.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Haven't started anything yet, going out in a little while to get AQ salt and a heater.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you watched them fall off..its most likely not Ich...they generally don't fall off like that...it may have been something in the water....like mineral deposits or something like that....since she is otherwise acting okay...I would just watch her for now and if they return-snap a pic and post it.....but still a good idea to have aquarium salt, heater and thermometer on hand......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Thank you so much OldFishLady!!! I'm glad it's probably not ich! I bought the AQ salt, but petsmart was out of heaters for tanks this size, so i'll have to go back another day or order one online pretty soon. She's acting like she feels pretty great, so I'm not too worried about her yet.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #4 
Indyfishy

It's back!!!!! =(

Woke up this morning to find her with little white spots all over her head. They're not falling off this time. I was able to snap a few photos.
What do you think, ich or not? She's acting normal, she's active and curious as usual!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #5 
Indyfishy

Here's a close-up of the first image

Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Was she stressed over the past 24h...water change, netted, moved, temp change-I see you added a heater...etc.....increase in temp can cause an outbreak....

I am not really seeing Ich, but even if it is...it is minor-often with minor out break the Bettas immune response will take care of it-sometimes too aggressive treatment can make them more apt to re-infection later..

I would watch it and if it gets worse-treat or if she has a change in behavior and then I would only do a natural treatment to allow her immune response to take care of it.....
Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #7 
Indyfishy

Thank you so much OFL! Nothing has changed in her environment, I went out to get a heater yesterday but petsmart was out of heaters for tanks this size X( I'll have to go back another day and pick one up. I was able to buy aquarium salt, and if I see it worsening I'll do the treatment right away. Should I do a water change or just let her be?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

If its time for a water change then yes....make one with deep vacuum-unless water changes stress her...if not.....deep vacuum is best way to manually remove the parasite....

High temps-help to speed the life cycle to get the parasite off the fish in order to kill it.

Salt (sodium chloride) in the correct dosage-can kill some if they are not resistant-but I mainly use salt to prevent a secondary infection from the open wound left by the parasite when it releases.

The treatment I like to use-the two cup method-I use 2 cups and switch every 24h-along with fresh water-I allow the unused cup to sit dry-since the Ich will die when dehydrated...I treat for 3 days Past the last day I could see the Ich on the body-this is to ensure that they are not hiding in the gills...treatment can take-4-14 days-depending on how bad it is.....

Generally, when I see a few white spots on a healthy fish...I don't do anything but watch/observe....usually they are gone in a day or two and the fish has a new found resistants......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-08-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

Well the spots are gone again now, so i don't think it's ich! She's due for a 50% water change tonight, so I'll do that and see if that makes a difference tomorrow. I'll keep a close eye on her for the next couple days. She's not acting ill at all, so I think she's alright =) Thank you so much!