Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 
KirstyTat

Question Heaters? Are either of these good?

I bought two heaters for my 2.5 gallon tank. I am frustrated with the pet stores because I can't seem to find one that I like. I first bought a TetraHT10 50W heater because it said 2 to 10 gallons on the box, but am afraid 50W heaters are too much for 2.5 gallon tanks. I then bought a Marina 10w heater which I have discovered has bad reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? They are supposed to turn off at 78 degrees and aren't adjustable. I couldn't find any adjustable heaters small enough for my tank at the pet stores I went to.

I have attached an image of the heaters.
Attached Images

KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #2 
Micho

Marina one sucks, I know that for a fact.

Mine didn't work, so I just bought a Elite Submersible Mini Heater 25w, it's adjustable and I recommended.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #3 
LionCalie

The one on the right has never worked properly for me either. Doesn't get the water warm enough. I have two of the Elites that Micho mentioned and LOVE them.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

The Marina brand one never worked for me either.It keeps the tank temp of a 1.5 gallon from dropping below 70 most of the time, but it does not do as advertised.

I don't know about the other one, sorry.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #5 
missm83

i have this one ..and i love it! ops! sorry the 1st one sucked wrong piclol the 2nd is the good one
Attached Images

Last edited by missm83; 11-07-2011 at 09:51 PM.
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #6 
laughing

The Tetra one is a HUGE joke. Seriously. It had such terrible reviews, but I really needed my 10 gallon heated, so I bought the 100watt and thought I'd live with it. HAHAHA, ya, right! 100watts for a 10 gallon and it has successfully brought it from 68* to 72-73*.. the joke? It stops heating there, maintains that temperature, and even shows a green light which means it's at the right temp, HA! I put the heater on in my apartment and it's now at 75*, so I know this heater just sucks.

That little betta heater from MissM does a terrible job, too.. don't ever try it! Mine has never once gotten warm in a proven light socket after days... The heater itself NEVER warm! But the PetCo Submersible one I've never tried.

I ordered the Eheim Jager 25watt for my 10 gallon, and if I like it, I'm buying it for my smaller tanks. I'm done with heaters!!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #7 
KirstyTat

Thumbs up

Thank you for the help everyone! I gave up looking at pet stores around here and decided to order the Elite 25W from Amazon. I just have to wait three days.. At least this one should work since so many people seem to like it.
I'm taking the heaters I have back to the stores.
KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #8 
JackisLost

i have the marina one. it's 71* in my 5.5 gallon right now. i'm ordering a 50w Fluval E50 heater. it's digital and powerfull enough and looks like secks, it's also $26 bucks shipped now
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 AM   #9 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstyTat View Post
Thank you for the help everyone! I gave up looking at pet stores around here and decided to order the Elite 25W from Amazon. I just have to wait three days.. At least this one should work since so many people seem to like it.
I'm taking the heaters I have back to the stores.
Good choice!
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #10 
OMB

I just got the Elite 25W from Amazon too after suggestions from this forum. So far I love it! Works well and adjusts well. My 1.5 gal is sitting at just below 80F even tho my house temp is about 68F.
OMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heaters