Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #1 
KirstyTat

Is this heater okay?

I purchased a 50W submersible heater for my new 2.5 gallon tank. On the box it says it's for 2-10 gallon tanks, but I was wondering if a 50W was too much? I know some people use 25W to heat 2 gallon tanks.

Last edited by KirstyTat; 11-06-2011 at 10:47 PM.
KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Um.. I'm assuming it's adjustable? If not you might want to reconsider >.> I've got a 25w that's adjustable and it works perfectly... I'm not quite sure what a 50w would be like in a 2.5...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #3 
KirstyTat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
Um.. I'm assuming it's adjustable? If not you might want to reconsider >.> I've got a 25w that's adjustable and it works perfectly... I'm not quite sure what a 50w would be like in a 2.5...
It says it's supposed to shut off when it reaches the best temperature. There's no way to adjust it. I'm going to exchange it for a 25W one that I trust. Thanks for the help! :)
Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

Ah... The heater I have is the only heater I've ever dealt with. I haven't heard any great stories with non-adjustable heaters, but they're not allllll bad. It seems like 50w would definitely be a high risk factor with a 2.5g, though.. I know I set my heater for 80 degrees exactly and after a day had passed, the temperature on both thermometers I had in the tank at the time were reading 4 degrees over their original temp (they're like two degrees apart). The heater was over $20, but from all the reviews I've read and the people that have given me recomendations off of this site, it's definitely the best heater I've ever gotten- with hardly any doubt that its going to fail me in the long run. I originally wanted to get a cheaper one because I thought it was going to be more cost efficient, buuuuuut it seemed like I was gonna have to spend even more than I wanted to because of how short a lifespan the cheaper heaters had >.>;
But yeah, I hope the heater search goes well for you ^.^ Definitely try to read and get as much advice as you can about them! It's kind of time consuming, but it definitely seems to help a ton!!
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Is it the preset tetra heater? If so it will probably not overheat...I have 2 of the 100 watt preset tetras..one in a 2.5 gallon and one in my 10 gallon QT. tank...the 10 stays at 76 degrees... the 2.5 stays around 80.
Adjustable heaters are best because you can adjust them according to your room temperature...For example..In winter when it is slightly cooler in our house I may need to adjust my aquarium heaters up slightly if iwant them to remain around 80 degrees...With the preset heaters you cant adjust them up so your fish are kinda just stuck with the temperature swing..Most presets only raise the temperure up a few degrees depending on room temperatures.
I have heard good thing about the adjustable elite mini heaters. I personally use the penn plex adjustables from pet supermarket in my smaller tanks..Theyre about 14 dollars.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #6 
KirstyTat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
Ah... The heater I have is the only heater I've ever dealt with. I haven't heard any great stories with non-adjustable heaters, but they're not allllll bad. It seems like 50w would definitely be a high risk factor with a 2.5g, though.. I know I set my heater for 80 degrees exactly and after a day had passed, the temperature on both thermometers I had in the tank at the time were reading 4 degrees over their original temp (they're like two degrees apart). The heater was over $20, but from all the reviews I've read and the people that have given me recomendations off of this site, it's definitely the best heater I've ever gotten- with hardly any doubt that its going to fail me in the long run. I originally wanted to get a cheaper one because I thought it was going to be more cost efficient, buuuuuut it seemed like I was gonna have to spend even more than I wanted to because of how short a lifespan the cheaper heaters had >.>;
But yeah, I hope the heater search goes well for you ^.^ Definitely try to read and get as much advice as you can about them! It's kind of time consuming, but it definitely seems to help a ton!!
Thank you! :)
Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #7 
KirstyTat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Is it the preset tetra heater? If so it will probably not overheat...I have 2 of the 100 watt preset tetras..one in a 2.5 gallon and one in my 10 gallon QT. tank...the 10 stays at 76 degrees... the 2.5 stays around 80.
Adjustable heaters are best because you can adjust them according to your room temperature...For example..In winter when it is slightly cooler in our house I may need to adjust my aquarium heaters up slightly if iwant them to remain around 80 degrees...With the preset heaters you cant adjust them up so your fish are kinda just stuck with the temperature swing..Most presets only raise the temperure up a few degrees depending on room temperatures.
I have heard good thing about the adjustable elite mini heaters. I personally use the penn plex adjustables from pet supermarket in my smaller tanks..Theyre about 14 dollars.
Yes it is the Tetra preset heater. You said you use a 100W in a 2.5 gallon tank? So the 50W preset shouldn't be too much then? I might try it to see it it works correctly. If not I'll look into the elite mini heaters. Thank you!
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

I normally would not suggest a 100watt in a 2.5 gallon...but the tetras are pretty weak in my opinion...atleast the 2 I have..haha..For that reason I probably would not buy another one but I am using the ones I have for now..
If you do decide to try it out I would keep a very very close eye on the temperature...I usually check my tanks temperature twice a day when I am feeding my bettas...I always glance over to see the thermometer.It is a good idea to check the temperature often anyways...adjustable heater or not.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #9 
bastage

The wattage doesn't matter so much.. If its 100w or 10w the difference is simply how fast it will heat the water.. So both will get the water to 80 degrees, the difference is the 100w would get it there much faster.. So as long as its got a preset off temp there shouldn't be a concern running a larger then needed heater in a tank.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #10 
Stormy27

heating a 1.5 gallon tank

Hello everyone,
I just bought a hearter from walmart. It's Tetra submersible heater but I'm not sure if i should use it. it's says its for 2-15 gallon but I think I have a 1.5 gallon tank or maybe 2. It's 100 watts. I really need to heat my tank, and my fish has something wrong with him for sure. I can't remember the name but he is darting and I think he has gold dust on him. I bought salt today but if I could get the heater going it would be an added bonus. I really need your help as he has been like this for a while and I'm not sure if he will recover if I wait any longer.

Thanks

and its not adjustable

Last edited by Stormy27; 11-07-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add info
Stormy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 gallon tank, 50w, 50w heater, heater