Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

sand in blind betta tank

Would it be a bad idea to put a thin layer of sand in my bettas filtered 3 gallon? Right now I have his tank without any substrate because he is blind and likes to eat food from the bottom. Most everything sits on top of sand though..I am just concerned that he might eat the sand...he wouldn't eat the sand would he?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #2 
flowerslegacy

I've been wondering the same thing since I have a blind guy too. My guy really has to work to snatch his food off the bottom - he's completely blind. I don't think he'd mean to the sand, but I can't imagine he could avoid it. I'm curious if any other "blind" owners have sand . . .
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #3 
jfw

how do you know they are blind? Were they always like that or did it develop?

I like hearing about blind bettas having a quality of life, I have a 14 year old pug who is almost completely blind, you wouldn't even know except for blanks stares at nothing and occasionally bumping into a wall lol.
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Never had a blind betta but I do have sand in my tanks.
Bettas will pretty much put everything in their mouths but will spit out that which they don't find eatable. I'm sure your little giy, even blind, can tell what's food and what's feces and spits back out what he doesn't want to eat.
I would keep an eye out on him if you decide to use sand.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #5 
Luimeril

i didn't have anything in Theo's tank. made it easier for him, and me. cleaning his tank was just cupping him, taking out the plants, rinsing the tank really well, then refilling it, putting the plants back, and floating him. if he missed pellets, he'd eat them. very clean little guy. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #6 
flowerslegacy

I bought my guy very sick. I'm not sure what he had ie. pop eye, fungus, injury, etc. I've treated him with Maracyn II and Kanamycin and his eye conditions are the same. He can't see anything. Otherwise he's active and happy. He's currently in a bare QT tank with a log. I'm currently deciding what type of permenant home would be best for him.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Thanks you all!
I know my little guy is blind because he doesn't flare or follow my finger or go to the top to eat..also his eyes are almost 100% clouded over.He used to attack his anubias plant everytime he would run into it..He knows it is just a plant now though so he doesnt attack it anymore.
Maybe I will just try half the tank and see how that goes.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #8 
jfw

littlebittyfish, was yours sick also when you bought it? can bettas get cataracts?
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #9 
flowerslegacy

I don't know if bettas can actually get "cataracts" but I know that dragon's can have issues with their scales eventually growing over their eyes. That may be the case with mine since he's a dragon and his right eye appears to be scaled over. However, I think he was injured at some point. His left eye looks half-way cloudy and swollen so my first attempt with Maracyn II, but it didn't do much. So my second attempt w/Kanamycin made a little difference. (MaracynII is for gram negative bacterias and Kanamycin is for gram positive bacterias). That's why I assume my guy was injured - the meds didn't really change the appearance of either eye. I think I'll do what LittleBitty is going to try - maybe half the tank w/sand and see how it goes.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

Yes it is the scales..Not actual cataracts I dont think..He is a pretty healthy little guy otherwise.The first night I got him he gobbled down 2 huge bloodworms. haha

That was when he was in his qt. tank..He now has a filtered 3 gallon critter keeper.