Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #1 
pixiedust

cant figure out whats wrong

i have a half moon beta less than a year old. it started out as fin rot i think. he was in a 5 gallon tank, and i kept it clean but his fins started to disapear and he looked sick. i got betta fix put him in a 1 gallon and he got better, then i put him back in his 5 gallon and he got sick again, no fin rot just lays on the bottom. so i put him back in the one gallon and he started to get better, but then every time i do a water change he gets really sick and has just started to stay that way. he does better when i dont change his water...but now he just mostly lays on the bottom. any ideas?
pixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #2 
Gamma

I think he's really stressed, how often do you change the tank? clean the five gallon in cold water and leave it out side on sunny day let bake all day in the sun along every thing in it than wash it again. Watch him closely. Can you get a pic up here? I might know whats wrong.
Tons off people think I don't know what I 'm doing cause I'm new to the forum but I've had a real taste when it come's to fish.
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #3 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust View Post
i have a half moon beta less than a year old. it started out as fin rot i think. he was in a 5 gallon tank, and i kept it clean but his fins started to disapear and he looked sick. i got betta fix put him in a 1 gallon and he got better, then i put him back in his 5 gallon and he got sick again, no fin rot just lays on the bottom. so i put him back in the one gallon and he started to get better, but then every time i do a water change he gets really sick and has just started to stay that way. he does better when i dont change his water...but now he just mostly lays on the bottom. any ideas?
Hi pixiedust.
If you could fill out this information, it would help anyone that comes to your thread in assisting you. do you have a photo of how he looks now?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #4 
pixiedust

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank?not sure but its warm prob75ish
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? by him self

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?blood woms
How often do you feed your betta fish?every morning

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?abouit 50% once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta fix and water conditioner..its ina yellow bottle walmart i htink

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
no
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins got scrappy
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?he just appears to sleep all day
When did you start noticing the symptoms?months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?yes betta fix
Does your fish have any history of being ill?i guess he never was then he was
How old is your fish (approximately)? weve had him about 6 months
Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Since he seem to get worse after a water change...tell us how you are making the water changes-step-by-step-also, tell us about the 5gal-filter, live plants, additives used...etc...how are you re-acclimating him to the new water...do you have a thermometer...if not, you need to get one...this is really important for not just monitoring the tank water temp but for the replacement water too....

A pic would really help...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

In the meantime, I would advise you to stop using BettaFix. It is basically eucalypt oil, does nothing to really help and can be harmful to your fish if you accidentally overdose. It certainly doesn't do anything to help that clean, heated water won't do. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #7 
pixiedust

he raelly likes now like a perfectly healthy beta fish whos almost recoverd from fin rot..his fins are not perfect but theyve grown back now and he appears to like to sleep all the time. i take out about about 3 cups of water and pour fresh back in and very slowley (SP?) or ill take a cup out and pour one back in about 5 times so he never gets shocked. the only thing that has ever appeared to help is the beta fix. i think he did get fin rot and i got rid of that hes recovered now. is it possible that i just have a really really lazy fish...ill try to get a pic today when i get home.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #8 
pixiedust

i dont know what the plant is ill have to go back to petsmart to find out for sure..are there some that are bad for them? and do you think a tank mate(in a 10 gallon of course) would help? or put his tank next to my other bettas so they can flare at each other? maybe hes just bored.