Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #1 
tkvalentine

Water filter and dividers...

Two male bettas, one 10g tank. There's a divider with a background cut out and slid into it to avoid any visual contact (and I've tried just the divider, the divider with a background that had some slits both before this... It's been a bit of a nightmare.). There's a slight opening in a bottom corner of the background as well as a couple of slits in the top near the surface of the water to allow water flow.

All that being said, the side with the water filter is set up with the bottle trick to lessen the flow of water. There's even a leaf hammock stuck underneath it to further baffle it, and my betta's water log nearby. There's still a bit of a smaller current, and I THINK Vlad is okay with it. Does all this sound alright so far?

Now, with the bottle trick being used on the filter, this keeps me from being able to mount my light/cover (I only use half of the cover and not the raiseable roof since betas need oxygen). The filter in combination with the bottle keep it from fitting as securely as I'd like, and there are no adjustments that work.

So my question for this: Is there's a way to baffle the filter a different (maybe even better?) way to keep the current under check for my fish as well as put my light back on? I've heard of sponges, but I'm still not 100% certain how that works. So if that's a suggestion, do I put the sponge in the section where the water comes out or just under the lip of the spout? Or am I still way off base?

It's always one problem after another, and if I had gills, I'd be flaring. But I think this could be the last hitch in my overall tank completion... Hopefully.
tkvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I used this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250 when I had power filters... doesn't significantly decrease the current like the bottle does but it does help and protects your fish fins.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote