Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 
cadi731

Sand

I'm getting sand for Ciel's 5 gallon. I'd prefer black sand, since I think it would make his colors really pop more, and it just looks really cool.

But, I have no experience with sand, and I don't really know what to do. I know how to clean it once it's IN the tank, but I don't really know what to do in preparation for that. xD; So any help would be much appreciated!

I know that, once it's in the tank, you use a tube or a turkey baster to siphon out all the crap on the top of the sand, and that you just stir the sand around a bit to get out all the gas pockets that build up over time. So I'm good AFTER it's in the tank. xD I just don't know what to do before it goes in there. Don't you have to wash it first? I don't even know... Help, please?
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Yeds, you should wash your sand a few times with water in order to remove the dust. after you place it in the tank and add water, it will be cloudy for a day or two but it should settle soon. If it doesnt, then do a full water change... dont add fish until you get it right.
I like Petco brand of sand... it's not a powedery sand, grains are bigger and easier to work IMO.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #3 
cadi731

Sadly, we lack a Petco. The closest one closed down. Now I have to drive like, an hour to get to one. So I just go to Petsmart. They have sand there, right? I'd think so.

So I just put it in a bucket and wash it a couple of times first, then put it in the tank? And wait until it's clear to put Ciel in?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

i would recommend getting seachem flourish black sand .. it looks amazing =) and great for planted tanks
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #5 
cadi731

About how much does it cost, and where can I buy it? O:
Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

err @_@ lol i meant flourite black sand .. sorrie posting really late and is tired hehe

this is the cheapest i've been able to find it at
http://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_L...FWPCPG-vi.html
Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #7 
bastage

so if Ceil is the VT in your avatar then well the black sand is not going to make his color pop. I have a dark blue CT & with black under him he kind of just blended in. His color popped alot more with a lighter neutral color substrate.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #8 
GaspeGirl

Hi there,

I just redecorated my betta Anthony's tank today and changed from black gravel to the Seachem Fluorite black sand. It is really fine and it was tough to find something with a small enough caliber to prevent it from just sifting through while rinsing it. It does say on the bag it is pre-rinsed and may be rinsed if desired. Anyway I finally got it rinsed as best I could and laid it in my 16g tank. The water is cloudy and I do have my filter running full speed lol. The directions say the cloudiness will disappear (fingers crossed) and I guess Anthony and his little pygmy corys friends are slumming it in the QT tank until it clears. This sand was highly recommended by my favourite fish guy. I sure hope this works because it was a big job!

I changed it because it is better for the corydoras and the living plants. Apparently it is "living" sand and will last for a very long time to keep the plants healthy.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom about this water cloudiness or is all that's required is patience?? Should I siphon out some of the water?

Thanks!
GaspeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

the cloudyness will go away .. give it some time .. like a day or 2 .. if it hasn't cleared up by then .. do 50% changes on it every day till it clears up
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #10 
cadi731

The tank looks really pretty now. I went to a pet store a couple towns over, and they had a bunch of gravel and sand, and a HUGE fish department. It was awesome. I didn't get the Seachem sand, but I did get a kind similar, I think. It looks really pretty.

I think it's a good thing that I got him the black sand. Even though he doesn't pop as much as I wanted him to, he likes it a lot. I think he likes being able to blend in. xD

I also got a BEAUTIFUL Halfmoon at Petsmart while I was there. His colors are so pretty. I fell in love with him the second I saw him. So now he's chillin' in Ciel's old bowl, with a couple of Ciel's old decorations and the sand. He's loving it. :3 Makes me happy.