Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #1 
hedgehog

Smile Horton the Betta/Cory

I've mentioned in other posts the odd behaviors or Horton the betta who thinks he's a cory. He lives with four cories (C. aeneus) in a ten gallon tank. Lately the spawning pair in his tank have been very active. Horton always protects his eggs (much like his namesake from Dr. Seuss) but none of the eggs ever seem to hatch whether it be due to fungus or catfish snacks. My mom noticed that all last week Hortons been laying on the sand with all his catfish brethren. She always calls me freaking out because clearly in her mind Horton is sick and dying and she doesn't know what to do for him. He's actually perfectly fine just a weirdo .

Today I get the usual call from my mom expecting 'why is Horton laying with the catfish doesn't he know he's a betta.' Instead she yells "WE HAVE TWO BABIES!!!!" Horton's parenting abilities have paid off and two eggs (at least) have hatched from a spawn. Horton has been laying in the sand between the babies and the adult cories so that they don't decide to eat his fry. Horton is the best betta/catfish daddy there is. (although he still can't/won't make a bubble nest.)
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

That is very adorable.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #3 
BellasMomma

aww how cute! He finally figured out how to protect his babies! I love his name, that's my daughters favorite movie!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #4 
hedgehog

Update: The bigger fry (relatively since he is still very little) is becoming more adventurous and swims a little bit a way from his usual hiding place. His betta daddy doesn't let him stray too far though and always swims right next to him. Horton's also staring down the adult catfish that come near the fake house the little fry hides in. No nips of course since he's a nice betta. Silly Horton doesn't know he's not a catfish.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, Horton sounds like a real sweetheart. lol Can you get some pics of Horton with his fry?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #6 
BettaMiah

THAT is Hilarious and Adorable! I love confused animals. Lol.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote