Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #1 
Bresn

Is he eating his fin or what?

Azul fin rip open,but there is nothing sharp in his tank??
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #2 
Myates

Could be a number of things- any chance to get a picture?

Biting you would see C or U shapes at the edges, sometimes a V if he pulled rather then just bit it off (the V would be smaller.. don't mistake it for a straight rip, you will see a distinctive V).

If it is just a straight line then it could be from flaring, from any decoration, from a too strong of a filter, or if you use a net to do water changes, that happens often.

Just keep up with water changes to avoid rot- if it is just a straight line split, it should fuse together within a couple of days.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #3 
maiNbeta

Hi Bresn,

I recently caught my VT biting himself right before all his fins were fully healed (dorsal, anal and ventral). he would bend his body against anything to catch his fin and chomp it right off. I didn't know what was wrong because nothing had changed since he started doing it. His water conditions are perfect, so I was really confused. I think it was a combination of boredom and swimming space. I searched the forums and did the following:

1) I removed some plants and arranged some in such a way that would shield him from view (some say their fish prefer heavily planted tanks, but it seemed to stress him out bc he is quite a swimmer). Try playing with combinations of heavily planted areas and open water.
2) I made sure there was a dark tunnel or object to swim in and out of. I bought a small black castle that I tipped over so he could hide. My betta seems to love swimming through cracks and tight spaces, so I arranged the castle against his sponge bob pineapple house and he now swims through a series of entrances and exits. Just be make sure there is enough space for your fish to get in and out safely.
3) I switched to feeding him flakes, i noticed that he would be preoccupied for quite some time looking for flakes that had fallen to the bottom. Unfortunately this means I'll be cleaning his tank twice/week instead of once.
4) I reduced the flow of his tank, so that the surface water was fairly still and made sure there was no current pushing him around his tank.

Since then, he has been healing up slowly. I'm adding some aquarium salt with every water change and a drop or two of medication to avoid fin rot. He also seems to be enjoying his new surroundings swimming all over his tank.

Hope this helps,
Mai
maiNbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #4 
Bresn

Some is straight and some is V shaped.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #5 
Myates

If they are just a straight line like a l, then I would suspect it's more decorations/fast current/over flaring more then biting- as normally with biting you get a C or U shape.
Just keep up with the water changes each week to avoid rot setting in and it should fuse back together relatively shortly.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote