Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #1 
Cattrina

Unhappy Not sure what to do anymore

My betta's name is Blaine and I've had him for about 5 months. I don't have any pictures to post of him to help with diagnosis, but I'm not sure if anything can be done for him anymore.

He's my first betta and he's been sick for awhile. I didn't know when I first got him that he had a fungus infection. I moved him from the community 10 gallon that contained 5 small tetras to a 1 gallon quarantine tank. Hes been in there for the past month. I treated him at first with Betta Revive because he had ich. Then when I noticed the fungus, I moved to treating him with Pimafix. He seemed to be doing alright, there was bloating once in awhile, but peas cleared that right up. In the last 24 hours however, hes gone from being very active, to sitting in the corner of the tank. He's developed pop eye, seems to have trouble swimming and breathing and his body has bloated in a way I've never seen. I've found a picture of what it kind of looks like, but his body isn't as big and his head seems much larger.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I placed him back in betta revive, and I've been doing regular water changes with filtered water, a small amount of aquarium salt, ph control and Seachem Prime. The ph is unusually high, but that has always been the case and nothing I do seems to bring it down. Besides that the nitrates, nitrites, and ammonium are non-existent and he has an air stone. Any ideas?
Cattrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #2 
Cattrina

Housing
Size: 1 gallon Quarantine Tank
Temp: roughly 73-75
Filter: None
Air Stone: Yes
Heater: No
Tank Mates: Currently none, was orignally in 10 gallon with 5 small tetras. No problems with fighting though

Food
Type: New Life Spectrum Betta Formula
I try to feed him twice a day with a small pinch (these are very small pellets) but there are some days he only gets one meal.

Maintenance
Water Change: Every 2-3 days
Percentage: 50ish Percent. Added slowly in over 30 min as to not shock him
Additives: Seachem Prime, Seachem PH Control, Aquarium Salt. Also have added recently Betta Revive

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: None
Nitrite: None
Nitrate: None
pH: Roughly 8.5 ph. Very high, but has not changed from that level
Hardness: Unknown. Have had issues in past with being too soft, but I have seemed to fixed that problem.
Alkalinity: Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
Change in Appearance: Bloated body and head. Fungus has turned from blackish blue to white, pop eye has developed. All this has happen in last 24 hours
Change in Behavior: Sits at bottom tank. Seems to have trouble breathing and moving.
Symptoms were first noticed today. Fungus was noticed about a month ago.
Treated betta for ich with aquarium salt and Betta Revive at first around a month ago. Then learned about the fungus infection soon after and began treating with API Pimafix. Is currently back in Betta Revive
History of Illness: I guess. I've had him for around 5 months

Last edited by Cattrina; 11-07-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #3 
Cattrina

I'm currently in college, so taking care of him and the 10 gallon has been a little difficult. I have forgotten water changes now and then but I try to make up for it by doing a bit larger of a change and adding the water in over 30 min to an hour.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #4 
Cattrina

I've had other fish for over a year now, but Blaine is my first betta. I'm really worried about him, I've been trying to keep him healthy but so far I've only been able to cure him of ich. I've never had a fish stay sick like this, my first few guppies just had a tendency to spontaneously die.

Oh, and other thing I've noticed, he doesn't seem to like the light. I've had to use a flashlight to observe him, and he shies away from the beam, especially when it's on the eye with pop eye.

EDIT: He also seems to have inflamed gills. He is red in color, but the gills don't look normal.

Last edited by Cattrina; 11-07-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: More information about betta's condition
Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #5 
flowerslegacy

Hi Cattrina - Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear about Blaine! I am not a disease expert, but I know a little so I'll get you started. First, can you increase the temp in his QT tank? Lower temperatures can compromise his immune system and since he's not healthy, he really needs to be at 80 degrees. Also, you mentioned above that you're using PH Control. Adjusting our pH is very tough and takes a lot of water chemistry knowledge to get it right and keep it stable. Mine is 8.0 and while that is a little high for bettas, they can still thrive at higher pH levels. A stable pH is a healthy pH! A fluctuating PH is detrimental to our little friends and that may be contributing to all his other issues. In regards to the health issues - it sounds like your little guy has progressed to some forms of internal organ damage. Bettafix is a really strong med. Usually we only turn to the strong stuff when we're on our last attempt to save them. Pimafix contains ingredients that damage the labrynth organ (the organ that allows the betta to breathe), and long term Aquarium Salt can cause internal organ damage. Based on what he's been through, internal organ issues is my best guess. The black finnage (fin rot) and pop-eye is usually bacterial. However, they do go hand-in-hand with fungus. However, with what he's been through, it could be internal damage on top of it all. The first step would be to get him off of Pimafix and remove the PH controller. Other than that, I'm at a loss. We have some great disease experts that will hopefully show up and chime in soon. I just wanted to get you started. He sounds a little advanced at this point, but I'll keep my fingers crossed! Good luck!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #6 
Cattrina

I did not know that about internal organ damage, but I do have some betta fix. I just changed the water earlier today and it has the betta revive in it. Do you suggest I do a 100% water change and put in the bettafix tonight, or give him awhile to adjust to today's 50% water change and do it tomorrow?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #7 
flowerslegacy

Bettafix and Pimafix both contain the chemicals that damage the labrynth organ, so you don't want either of those drugs in the water. I would do a 100% water change immediately. Treat the water w/Prime and only use the AQ salt. If you have him in 1 gal, I would only do 1tsp of salt. The best medicine for him right now is just clean water and he needs a break from all the drugs. The AQ salt will assist with slowing any bacteria, although honestly I think it might be best to remove that as well. But because I am unsure of what his rot/bloat/pop-eye issues are caused from, I would wait for one of the experienced disease folks to direct you. Oh, I also forgot to inform you about peas. You never want to feed peas to bettas. I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there, but bettas are one fish that cannot tolerate them. Other standard tropical fish do well with peas, but bettas are the exception. They're quirky little fish but you've found a great forum to learn about them. Sounds like you're on the right track with wanting to care for your little guy and hopefully we can help you get him back to being healthy and happy.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

Don't use the BettaFix (diluted Pimafix/Melafix). It is basically just eucalypt extract and does nothing - in some cases, it can even be harmful. Clean water will be much better for him. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #9 
Cattrina

Alright. I'll make sure to give him clean water tonight. I've raised the temp in the room, air temp is about 77 F so he should be feeling that soon. I just hope he's still alive tomorrow.

I didn't know about the peas bit. I've fed him peas in the past, and while his poo turns green for a day, he seems to really like them and goes crazy when I give him them.

Thank you guys for the help so far. I've done a lot of research before, but he's never degraded this quickly.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #10 
flowerslegacy

I just went through pop-eye and another forum member is dealing with fin rot. There are two different bacterial strains for both issues, but I'm not equipped to diagnose or direct you. Especially because he's been on a few meds so far. Usually pop-eye is treated w/Epsom Salt. Epsom isn't actually a salt - it's magnesium sulphate and it draws fluid out. AQ salt is a saline and it draws fluid in. While AQ salt isn't the best for pop-eye, I'm concerned about his possible fin rot. Bacteria of that strain really needs AQ to keep it at bay. So with my inexperience I'll say AQ until someone with more expertise can properly direct you. I hope he's okay in the morning!