Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #11 
Cattrina

Well I don't think he has fin rot, his fins look so much better than they did a couple months ago. I did notice during the water change, that when looked at from the top, while the right side has the pop eye, the swelling seems to be more prominent on the left. I'm not sure if that is helpful or not, but it's something I noticed. He is also eating, but is less enthusiastic about it than normal.
Cattrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #12 
Cattrina

Another thing I just noticed are small white bubble looking things around the pop eye. It doesn't look like ich, it looks like it's actually coming out the area around the eye.

Last edited by Cattrina; 11-07-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #13 
Myates

AQ salt can make bloating worse.. I would recommend using Epsom Salt (very cheap, can buy it at just about any pharmacy- like the one in a Walmart). 2 teaspoons per gallon, dissolve it prior to putting him in it, as well as your regular water conditioner. You will need to do daily 100% water changes with any salt treatment.

ES will help with popeye as well as bloating.. it's also much milder and can be used for longer periods and not as dangerous as AQ salt which could cause kidney failure.

Have you noticed his waste? Is it brown, or white and stringy? White and stringy is a sign that there are internal parasites. So keep an eye for it when you do water changes- why bare bottom QT tanks are preferred.

As for the food.. unless the container says "mini or micro" I am assuming they are just the common, medium sized pellets. In that case it's best to feed 2-3 pellets per meal, twice a day. For "mini" pellets, 4-5 pellets per meal, twice a day.
But I'd start with the lesser amounts for a while, even halving it at first and gradually working up to the total of 4-6/8-10 a day, as long as you don't see him becoming too large after a meal.
But until he gets better, stick with fasting him and giving him small amounts of food, 2 pellets a day spread between 2 meals would be okay for now.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #14 
Cattrina

His waste is brown, I've never seen it white so I don't think internal parasites are the problem. I'll make sure the get the Epsom Salt today.

The food I have says they're 1mm in size, so I would guess they would fall into the mini pellet range. I'll stick with small meals twice a day for him.

Something I just noticed today, it seems to have occurred in the past few hours, the area around his gills has turned bright red, almost to the color of his fins. Could he have an infection?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #15 
Myates

Usually red gills is a sign of ammonia poisoning- but you are doing regular changes to water, may also be a reaction if you are using any other form of medication. Go ahead and stop the AQ salt and do Epsom as recommended, make sure to do daily 100% water changes while he is in treatment and see if that helps with his gills.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #16 
flowerslegacy

Yea! Myates is here! Thank you for stepping in. My guy is currently on ES but I wasn't sure what to do since Blaine has been experiencing other issues. Cattrina, in your original post you mentioned that Blaine's fungus has just changed from blackish blue to white. This is what led me to think he has fin rot. Can you specify his fungus? What area of his body is it on? Is it still on his fins? Is it on his body? That will help a lot with diagnosing any possible bacterial and/or fungal issues. Usually rot starts black and can progress to white in color. Also, what I can tell you about pop-eye is only what I've personally been experiencing. My guy has a left eye that is much more swollen than the right too. I'm sure that's just a huge coincidence. I've never researched or read about issues that only effect the left or right eye. Also, when the eye is swollen and protruding, I can see the lining of the socket (not sure the medical or technical terms here, just my layman's observation). Perhaps that's the bubble effect you're seeing? Is there any way for you to post a pic? Pop-eye is generally a bacterial infection but it can also occur due to internal bloating. This is why a pic would help wonders. Also, as Myates stated, red swollen gills are a sign of burning and that is usually caused by ammonia. Perhaps the meds have contributed, but either way the nice, clean water should clear it up. The ES will help with swelling, irritation and bloat. If he's constipated, it will help him with that issue too. If his bloating doesn't subside, then I'm concerned about internal organ damage. But if he's eating, that's a good sign. Can you get frozen blood worms at your pet store? A good high protein diet is always best when they're fighting health issues. Again, as Myates stated, if he's bloated, he needs to fast but when he's back to normal, 1 worm 2x day would do wonders for his recovery. Keep us posted!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #17 
Fieldz

Wow man I cant believe you gave him peas. Peas = bombs for bettas.

Use epsom salt, thats the only thing I can recommend with the other medications. Double the medications if necessary.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #18 
flowerslegacy

Cattrina, I tend to get wordy when there are a lot of issues to deal with. Let me get to the point in regards to new meds: First we need to try and properly diagnose him. Since you've mentioned fungus causing discoloration and also a new case of pop-eye, we'll need to know what we're dealing with before medicating him again. Removing the old meds and changing from AQ to ES was the first step. If you can get pics, then we can look towards a new medical solution. We don't want to medicate him again if it's not necessary. To post a pic, you can either download it by copying it from photobucket, etc. You just click on the little mountain icon at the top of the 'Quick Reply' box and then insert the copied link within your text. Or, you can click on the "Go Advance" button below the 'Quick Reply" box and then click on the paperclip. You can download photos from there as well.

Last edited by flowerslegacy; 11-08-2011 at 02:51 PM.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #19 
Myates

Okay.. rereading everything, and going to do some searching- see if I can find a compatible treatment for both fungus and the bloating and popeye all in one.. so give me a few, got busy today with so many threads, this one got kind of lost in my shuffle- I'm sorry.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #20 
Myates

Fungus Eliminator by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II.. I would use one of them alongside of Epsom Salt. Epsom is gentle enough to work with these medications. I will have to do a reverse search to make sure they work with Epsom, but I'm almost positive it is safe.
Lower the water temp to 76*F, as warmer water will cause the fungus to grow more rapidly. Use the amount the medication bottle tells you to, along with 2 teaspoons of Epsom Salt (dissolved prior to adding it with the betta), and use your regular water conditioner. I want to say do daily 100% water changes, redosing with the fungus medicine and the Epsom Salt each time- premix in a 1 gallon water jug if you have one available. Continue the fungus medicine until all of it is gone- and continue the Epsom Salt until all the bloating is gone.
Make sure to acclimate him to both temp and chemistry of the water each change- floating holding cup in the Qt tank and removing some of the water from the cup and replace with water from the tank every 10 minutes for 20-30 minutes.
I can't recall, but if he is in a small cup as his QT, if you have a small tupperware, you can use that as a QT, just switch him out. Make sure to clean the tupperware really well with very hot water to make sure there is no soap residue. (I can't recall if he is in a QT tank, or cup, or what right now, sorry)
Normally, AQ salt would be what is needed for the fungus, but he is also bloated and we don't want to risk a pop up of SBD right now on top of everything. Did you fast him recently? If you haven't fasted him within the last 48 hours, go ahead and fast him for a couple of days to help speed up the process of the bloating so we can focus on the fungus.

I'm also curious as to whether or not he has Columnaris.. but without pictures I can't say for sure- plus he has so many other problems all hitting at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerslegacy View Post
Yea! Myates is here! Thank you for stepping in. My guy is currently on ES but I wasn't sure what to do since Blaine has been experiencing other issues. Cattrina, in your original post you mentioned that Blaine's fungus has just changed from blackish blue to white. This is what led me to think he has fin rot. Can you specify his fungus? What area of his body is it on? Is it still on his fins? Is it on his body? That will help a lot with diagnosing any possible bacterial and/or fungal issues. Usually rot starts black and can progress to white in color. Also, what I can tell you about pop-eye is only what I've personally been experiencing. My guy has a left eye that is much more swollen than the right too. I'm sure that's just a huge coincidence. I've never researched or read about issues that only effect the left or right eye. Also, when the eye is swollen and protruding, I can see the lining of the socket (not sure the medical or technical terms here, just my layman's observation). Perhaps that's the bubble effect you're seeing? Is there any way for you to post a pic? Pop-eye is generally a bacterial infection but it can also occur due to internal bloating. This is why a pic would help wonders. Also, as Myates stated, red swollen gills are a sign of burning and that is usually caused by ammonia. Perhaps the meds have contributed, but either way the nice, clean water should clear it up. The ES will help with swelling, irritation and bloat. If he's constipated, it will help him with that issue too. If his bloating doesn't subside, then I'm concerned about internal organ damage. But if he's eating, that's a good sign. Can you get frozen blood worms at your pet store? A good high protein diet is always best when they're fighting health issues. Again, as Myates stated, if he's bloated, he needs to fast but when he's back to normal, 1 worm 2x day would do wonders for his recovery. Keep us posted!
Yep I'm here! lol
Popeye can also be from a hormone issue. Popeye won't normally kill the fish, at most, but still traumatic enough, they lose their eye. The ES will definitely help the eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldz View Post
Wow man I cant believe you gave him peas. Peas = bombs for bettas.
Peas aren't idea, as the bettas can't digest them properly and can cause blockage itself. But it is used often enough with a lot of success for a lot of people. So against my own opinion, I've come to terms you can't tell people to stop, nor say they are wrong. If you google "Peas to bettas" even all you get is how to, not why it's best not to do it.
So when I see it I will tell them why it's best to use something more suitable for them, but other then that, one can't really blame another for using when 99% of what you read is people doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerslegacy View Post
Cattrina, I tend to get wordy when there are a lot of issues to deal with. Let me get to the point in regards to new meds: First we need to try and properly diagnose him. Since you've mentioned fungus causing discoloration and also a new case of pop-eye, we'll need to know what we're dealing with before medicating him again. Removing the old meds and changing from AQ to ES was the first step. If you can get pics, then we can look towards a new medical solution. We don't want to medicate him again if it's not necessary. To post a pic, you can either download it by copying it from photobucket, etc. You just click on the little mountain icon at the top of the 'Quick Reply' box and then insert the copied link within your text. Or, you can click on the "Go Advance" button below the 'Quick Reply" box and then click on the paperclip. You can download photos from there as well.
I have to agree 100%- the ES can slow down the growth of the fungus until we know for sure whether it's just a simple form of fungus, or something a little more serious such as Columnaris. I gave the list up top of what would work for a normal fungus invasion.. but make sure before you start any of those treatments along with ES, that you verify what it is you are dealing with.