Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #11 
Gloria

I am sorry you lost some more fry... It's good your first sick one is getting better.. I cannot believe how big they are and SO cute!! I love both mum and dad.. These fry are going to be gorgeous when they get colour etc. I rekon yours are bigger than mine :(
lol... :) hope all continues to go well
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #12 
checkerzelda

I think I found out what this is...it's Columnaris caused by Flavobacterium columnare. Which explains the lesions, red gills and reddened internal organs. It's the same bacteria that causes fungus-like patches on adult fishes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columnaris
http://www.fishkeepingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=62723
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

Most effective treatment should be Kanamycin (for gram negative bacteria), although Pimafix can be used for mild cases. So, next time you consider spawning, do stock up on some Kanamycin!
checkerzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:19 AM   #13 
checkerzelda

My fry turns 4 weeks old today. :D A milestone, yay! I think I might have the bacterial problem in control so far with daily 80-90% water changes. Some of the fry still have reddened gills but I take comfort with the fact that they're still little gluttons and acting normally. Since my last update, more fry has darkened in colour and have horizontal lines across their bodies. They sure look healthier darker!

Some pictures...

Dad and his mini bubble nest

Overhead view of my main tank in high resolution:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...g/DSCN6229.jpg

The above is not inclusive of another 28 fry that I am raising separately in a 2g tank. I have not made a stocktake on the number of fry yet..on estimate, there should be about 70-80 fry altogether.

Last edited by checkerzelda; 11-12-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #14 
Gloria

OH!!! They look SO cute, the have REALLY long bodies.. They are gorgeous. I am glad to hear they are getting better.. Congrats on them making it to 4 weeks. Happy 4 week birthday little Fry!!

Very nice mini bubble nest, daddy.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Congrats on fry's recovery - glad everything worked out.
Keep an eye on the slightest lethargy which could spread through out the tank.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, they're so cute! I'm glad they're doing ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #17 
checkerzelda

Hello all, sorry for the lack of updates..I confess the whole disease thing and mass fry death overtime had been a little discouraging. Kinda put me off the mood for updating and taking pictures until I'm reasonably certain they'd stop dying on me, lol.

Anyway, here we are. What's left of my spawn is now 8 weeks 3 days old. Current headcount, about 41. I started off with around 80-100 fry and had them steady for 3 weeks without problems. Alas, a bacterial infection striked and I started losing about 5 every day..until the 5th week. On the first sign of the disease, I had them separated into a few smaller tanks, did daily water changes and medicated them on Ueno yellow powder. I don't know if the med worked..half of the healthy fry end up getting infected still, but at least some survived.

This episode, plus the fact that I fed them mainly on microworms for too long, I think, have stunted their growth for a while. The surviving fry are also missing their ventrals now. ^^;; It feels to me like they're doomed to stay as adolenscents forever, lol..no beards! But at this point I don't really mind anymore..I'm just thankful they're still alive! If anything, I've learnt my lesson, in future I'll start off with BBS sooner. xD;

And I'm sorry if I sound so pessimistic, hahah. Things are actually much brighter now. My largest fries, about 10 of them, are a little over 2 cm and have just taken in their first frozen bloodworms. It's great satisfaction to see them gobble up some real 'solid' food! Colours are also more prominent now..there's a variety of red, blue, turquiose and purple in there.

Do expect some pics in my next post. :))
Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #18 
checkerzelda

8w 3d, picspam

There! :)

Last edited by checkerzelda; 12-13-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: wrong coding, oops
Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #19 
tpocicat

They're beautiful, all sparkly and shiny! Blue is my favorite color, so I really love your fry.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:50 AM   #20 
Gloria

OMG!! They are SO gorgeous.. Im glad everything has turned around.. I hope they get their ventral fins.. They look huge!! :) I have a VERY big difference in size of my fry from 1cm to 2.2cm.. All of yours look the same size-ish :) They are really just too cute :)
Say 'HI' to them for me :)

Tags
crowntail, disease, fry, spawn log