Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #1 
titolatino1970

think my betta is sick

SYMPTOMS lathargic stays on bottom comes up for air and food
Appearance Changes looks clamped a bit:
Behavior Changes: she was activ till now
Eating Habits: once a day tetra min betta pellets but not everyday i swicth up flakes 1 day frozen bw 1once a week
Other:

WATER STATS
Ammonia:0
Nitrate:0-5
Nitrite:0
pH:76
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
Time you noticed the illness: 2 weeks ago salted her water fasted thought it was bloat but no change

TANK 30 long sorrority
Size:30l
Temp:80
Filtration/Aeration: 2 sponge filters and a hob

HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
Frequency of Tank Cleaning:once a week cleaning and a mid week water change
Water Additives:IAL salt dechlorinator also age water
Feeding (food type/frequency):pellets flakes frozen switched up
Tank Mates: her betta sister 6 2 cory cats

TREATMENT
Any treatment so far and when:gave her a pea when it first started that was 10 days ago

HISTORY have the fish 4 months was active and healthy she came from aquabid with a brother and a sister they came from nyhm List any past health problems: none

her butt like huntched and wieghted down its been 10 days ive fasted her at first thought it was bloat gave her a pea tried ebson salt shes in her own 2-5 gallon heated change thar water ever other day when she lays on the bottom tail half looks toppled over thinking of tryin antiparasite med or ammoxacillan or something shes not getting better or worse either

titolatino1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

i would recommend to lower the water line in his 2.5 so she can get to the surface easier .. also .. since she's been in 10days epsom salt treatment already for 10 days .. to just let her be in clean warm water for a little while because too many different treatments back to back for long period of time is gonna be pretty stressful ..

pea's are not a good idea for bettas ... tho people have had this method work for them i wouldn't recommend it .. bettas are carnivores and vegi's are not digested the theory for peas to work is that it works like drain-o pushing out whatever was causing the blockage .. but sometimes the pea can make the blockage worse .. pea is the treatment for goldfish sbd as goldfish are herbivores and is able to digest the pea .. the equivalent for bettas is daphinias which are little eggs .. and the protein from that will work like how fiber works for humans and help with bloat and blockage

what kind of feeding schedule do you have for her right now?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #3 
Myates

Poor lil girl..
What salt were you using? AQ salt or Epsom salt? "Water Additives:IAL salt dechlorinator also age water"
What is the temp in the tank? Her home tank where she first became ill.

Is it 30 liters (7 gals) or 30 gallons?

Not understanding this: "her betta sister 6 2 cory cats" Are you meaning just her and her sister with 6 2" cory cats, or her and 7 other girls with 2 cory cats?

"once a week cleaning and a mid week water change" sounds like it is too much- for either size tank you would only need to do 1 cleaning per week, usually 25-30%, with siphoning. You may be over doing it on the cleaning which could affect her and the others.. How big of water changes are you doing and if it's around 50%+, how are you acclimating them back into the new water?

As Hatsune mentioned above, I too would stop medications right now and do daily 100% water changes with your regular water conditioner and IAL. Give her system a break for a little bit before jumping into more medications. I wouldn't do parasitic medicine unless you see her poop is white and stringy- but be careful as she could also have absorbed eggs which would make her poop white.

Is there a way to get a picture of her when she is in clear water and not IAL? I would like to see her close up and clear if possible to see her head. Would help in diagnosing it.. right now the picture isn't too clear and can't tell if the coloration on her head is normal for her or not.

My opinion is she is very stressed, most likely was picked on excessively by the other girl(s). Which is common for sororities as she is not bloated any.

Last edited by Myates; 11-08-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #4 
titolatino1970

cool i havent giving more med she first got sick in her sorrority 30long i just lowered her water she seem comfy warm 78 ial half t ap salt dechlorinated aged what the hec is wrong with her and when does 1 give up

Last edited by titolatino1970; 11-08-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #5 
Myates

Still uncertain what you are saying.. I'm sorry.

Is it 30 liters (7 gals) or 30 gallons?

Not understanding this: "her betta sister 6 2 cory cats" Are you meaning just her and her sister with 6 2" cory cats, or her and 7 other girls with 2 cory cats?
Asking the last question here because if it's over crowded for the tank, or not enough girls that could be the problem itself.

By ap salt, are you meaning AQ salt? If it is AQ salt you use regularly, that could be it too.. you don't want to use AQ salt regularly as it causes a lot of internal issues such as kidney failure- as well as it can easily kill your cory. So any AQ salt you use, you should be doing it in QT for no longer then 10 days with 100% water changes.. but it's not needed now with her.

But for now just keep her in warm water, water conditioner (if you have stress coat, use that instead of another water conditioner) and IAL.. no salts, no medicines. And do daily 100% water changes until you see an improvement.

You may see her perk up with just clean water with only what I listed above after a few days.

Don't give up yet, unfortunately by doing different treatments and not doing properly, you may have extended her problems. She isn't bloated, so she doesn't need medicines now. So just leave her in clean water and see what happens.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #6 
titolatino1970

thankyou ok ill keep on keeping on
Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #7 
ANHEL123

Just want to add something else if you did Epsom salt treatment it has to be right dose and right duration of the treatment. You would need 2-3 tsp/gall with 100% daily water changes. You need to put fish in smaller container and pre mix the salt in 1 gall jug for the right dosage..

Also you say she is in her own 2-5 gall tank. Do you mean 2.5 gall. For 2.5 gall water changes should be 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. Well i do 100% for my 2.5 gall.

Good luck.

Epsom salt for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problems,constipation,internal parasite....

Last edited by ANHEL123; 11-08-2011 at 09:02 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

I don't want to confuse you i wrote instructions just in case for the future ,because the right dosage is very important.

I agree for now no medication,no salt unless she will be really bloated.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #9 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Just want to add something else if you did Epsom salt treatment it has to be right dose and right duration of the treatment. You would need 2-3 tsp/gall with 100% daily water changes. You need to put fish in smaller container and pre mix the salt in 1 gall jug for the right dosage..

Also you say she is in her own 2-5 gall tank. Do you mean 2.5 gall. For 2.5 gall water changes should be 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. Well i do 100% for my 2.5 gall.

Good luck.

Epsom salt for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problems,constipation,internal parasite....
She is in a QT tank at the moment, and should be doing daily 100% water changes with like-temp water until she is better.. the 1 50% and 1 100% is good if it was her regular home. :)

Since she isn't bloated, ES should be discontinued. 1-3tsp is the correct amount, depending on what it is, and how far advanced. Sometimes just using 1 tsp is appropriate :)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

Yes i agree with you on everything Just want to make sure people to know correct dosage for the treatment in case it needed in the future :)

But i am confused with 25-30% water changes for 7 gall? May be because i don't cycle. For me it not enough water changes. I saw recommendation for uncycle 7 gall tank which is 50% every week and 100% once a month. Sorry i just don't understand cycling because i do 100% changes, so that instructions for 7 gall probably for uncycle tank ?

Thank you