Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question Mardel Maracyn-oxy

It says it fights fungal and bacterial diseases. The active ingredient is chlorine oxides. The instructions are kinda vague. Give 1/2 capful for 10 gallons and if fish is having a bad recaction, neturlize with dechlorinator.

SO am i not supposed to be using conditioner with this stuff? I use stress coat and I am trying to fight either a fungus or columnaris. I think its columnaris though It looks like the fuzzy stuff is eating away her skin/scales.

I can not find any other medicaition besides this, betta revive and melafix/bettafix. And I have malachite green
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #2 
Myates

Dechlorinator is the same as conditioner pretty much- removes chlorines and binds metals. I would use your conditioner.

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).

I've never had to deal with it, so hopefully someone who has experience with it will come along and help you with it with how they handled it.. good luck
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I seen that and I looked at many pics online. I "think" its columnaris. There were white patches but this medicine seems to be killing it off, and it looks like its leaving behind...scabs or leasions.

Before I though she was dead, went to scoop her up and she started swimming She had her head down and her tail was almost straight up. Then I did a water change, added AS salt, stress coat and this stuff, she was floating on her side. Now she is in her cup with just a little water and is floating normally. Sadly, it kinda looks like she is slightly pineconed

I almost killed her earlier by using 3 TABLESPoONS of salt

Quote:
Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator
Neither petco or walmart has this stuff.

I never had any of my "sympathy" purchases, which was pretty much all of my bettas, have anything seriously wrong with them before other then fin rot or SBD. I did kinda notice there was something slightly off with her mouth when I saw her but didnt pay much attention to it.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-08-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #4 
Myates

Woops! Accidents happen :)

The lesions are a symptom of colum, you may be seeing that progress, or you didn't see them under the fungus until it cleared. After she is treated, the scales should cover any scars left by it.

Just keep doing what you are doing with the medicine and salt, keep her dimly lit to relax her. Lower the temp to 78* if it isn't already.

Wish you had the other medicines available, that was listed.. the one you have is good for fungal infections, but normally you would want one of the other medicines along with a fungus eliminator.
I hope she pulls through for you, I really do.. keep us updated.

Any chance for a picture?

Last edited by Myates; 11-08-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Uploading pic now...
Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

took these just now...Poor thing.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #7 
Myates

Oh the poor thing! Both of you having to deal with this!
It does definitely look like it.. sigh..

I'm reading up a little more on it now.. hopefully will find something out about the pine coning.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

I would suck if she beat this only to sucumb to dropsy :(

She looks less fuzzy then she did yesterday, but alot more scales are gone too. The bottom pic, it looks like she is slightly pineconing
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #9 
Myates

She is slightly pineconing.. I didn't forget about you though!

*mini rant* boyfriend came and and wanted to show me a funnel cloud, then the dog wanted out, then we had a battle with a brown recluse we saw by the back door, then a discussion of what type of cereal to get when I go to the store in a bit, then nature called.. *lets out breath* Phew okay, now back to what I was doing..

I'm trying to find a coralition between the pine coning and columnaris, and whether you should continue the AQ salt with the pine coning.. not giving up yet!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Quote:
then we had a battle with a brown recluse we saw by the back door,
Brings back nighmares of when I worked at the grand canyon. Arizona is not a good place to be when you have a phobia of SPIDERS.

The treatment seems to be identical for both, except dropsy used ES instead of AS. I wonder if I should switch out the AS for ES?? Isn't dropsy almost always fatal?

I wonder if too much AS can cause pineconing?

I need to take a nap. Hopefully she will still be with us in a few hours.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-08-2011 at 09:34 AM.