Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #1 
brihonyrhea

Water Changes

Hey! Because I am getting conflicting advice concerning water changes, I am wondering if I can get some advice? I am changing twice a week, about half to two thirds of the water. I want to do a full-water change, so I can clean the bowl (am thinking of doing this once a week).....is this too much? How can I completely clean the bowl without scaring the fish?
brihonyrhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #2 
Myates

Is your tank filtered? If so it will change the amount of water changes you do-
if it's not then you would be wanting to do weekly 100% changes.

Anything under 5 gals, unfiltered you would want to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.

I am assuming it's under 5 gals since you mentioned bowl.

You will want to scoop him out, preferably with the cup he came in, or another small cup/container to have less of a risk of damaging his tail. If not, a net would do- just put tank water into a container to hold him in.

With the 50%, just take out 50% of the water and replace with like-temp water from the tap and dose the tank with conditioner. You could remove the decorations to clean if you wish then too. It is recommended to remove him with 50%s, as you run the risk of not having the right temp when replacing the water.

With the 100%, remove him, dump out all of the water from the bowl. Use as hot of water as you can stand and rinse out the substrate really good, removing all the waste and water. Using the hot water clean off the decorations. Fill the bowl up with water and add in a full dose of the water conditioner. Try to get the temp to at least 78-80*F so that way the heater won't have to take as long and work as hard to bring it back to recommended temp. You don't want it to be too warm (anything over 84* I'd say) or too cold (anything under 76*).

When putting him back in the bowl, float the cup/container in it for 20-30 minutes, during which every 10 mins or so you can remove some of the cup water and replace it with tank water- that way he acclimates to both the temp and the chemistry of the change.

If it's filtered, 1 50% water change per week is good, and once a month you can do a larger change. I never recommend a 100% with a filter, but you can, especially if it's a smaller tank (under 5 gals) as the cycling of it is always iffy in smaller tanks. Clean and place fish in tank as mentioned above.

Hope that helps!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #3 
BellasMomma

wat they said!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #4 
brihonyrhea

You are made of awesome! Thanks heaps!
brihonyrhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #5 
valleyankee

That's exactly how I do it. I only have a 2 gallon tank and I feel like this is alwats a big mess. How do people do this with 5 gallons?
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #6 
Myates

All of my tanks are 2 gallons, and one is 1 gallon.. I do them all on my kitchen counter and yep, such a mess! Larger tanks are easier because you use a bucket or pitcher to take water out and dump it. Never made a mess with my big tanks, always my small ones >.<
Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #7 
sdgallo

Good Morning! I am relatively new to caring for betta fish, but I love my little guys and am concerned.... I changed the water in their tank yesterday and ever since the water has been cloudy??? I use the top-fin water conditioner to treat the water. I do not use tap water in the tank, i use natural spring water. i though that maybe the cloudiness was some dust from the rocks at the bottom of the tank and would settle overnight, but it has not. Any suggestions??
sdgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #8 
sdgallo

p.s. i changed only half of the water initially, but after it sat overnight and was still cloudy i changed it again and still the same result, cloudiness. my fish seem to have become lethargic and did not eat this morning! i am concerned for their health at this point please help me and my little guys!!!!!!!!!!
sdgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #9 
Myates

Hi sd :)

Did you rinse off the rocks real well with hot water before putting them in the tank?
Also, tap water is what is preferred and what is recommended to use- spring/bottled/distilled water lacks the proper nutrients and minerals that are needed. Why you use water conditioner- to use with tap water so the conditioner will remove the harmful chlorine and binds the metals, but still leaves in the proper minerals that a lot of spring/distilled/bottled water removes during the filtration process.

Take out the boy, use his cup you got him in to scoop him out. Empty the tank completely, fill it back up with tap water (making sure it is the appropriate temp - 78-82*F). Wash the decorations, including substrate and rocks with as hot of water as you can stand. Dose for the full tank size of water conditioner.
Using his cup, float him in the tank for 20-30 minutes so he adjusts to the temp, every 10 minutes remove some of the water from the cup and add in water from the tank- that way he acclimates properly to both temp and chemistry.

The rocks, are they the gravel on the bottom, or did you add in rocks from outside? Gravel just rinse very thoroughly in a colander with hot water for a good amount of time, moving the gravel around to get it all.
If rocks from the outside, you have to be careful with where you get them and the type of rocks. Soak them in water for a few days, changing the water daily, to remove any sediment.

What size tank do you have? It could also be from not doing enough water changes- the chemistry acting up.
Is it filtered?
Do you have a heater? What is the temp?
Being lethargic and not eating could mean he is stressing over the chemistry imbalance, or the temp. So if we fix both of those, he should start feeling better.

(Also would suggest making your own thread, as piggy backing on another's will cause other posters to skip seeing it as they have already read the thread and/or responded to the original poster)