Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #41 
Oldfishlady

Awesome...bouncing babies......

If the only food you plan to feed is BBS.....it is really important to feed newly hatched BBS with their yolk sac intact so that they contain the needed nutrients for the Betta fry...especially the HUFA.....deficiencies can cause sudden death and general growth/development issues...if you are going to be adding other foods...its less of an issue.....you also have the physical size of the BBS....they get bigger with every molt......the first couple of week are most critical....

How are you hatching the BBS...generally it shouldn't take longer than 24-28h for the bigger percent to hatch.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #42 
SmeathysBettas

I'm hatching the usual way... 2liter bottle, ya know. They're hatching perfectly, no prob there. Just started a new batch this morning. I saved some of the BBS from my previous batch, just to be on the safe side. I tried to feed some of them to my adults... lol that was a waste! They couldn't even see 'em. Oh well!

I'm so proud of my guy... he is swimming his tail off trying to keep up with his babies. He's not eating any (that I've seen) and there's definitely more than I thought! Maybe around 200? Yikes! <3
I'm so ready to take him out and let him rest! He needs it.

Geez and I'm so excited to see the fry swim freely!! I know I've got A LOT of work ahead of me... but it will be so worth it - I'm already in love with all of the lil ones... *sigh* might keep them allllllll!! Muahahaha... don't think my husband will appreciate the betta take over. Oh wait, that's already happened!
SmeathysBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #43 
SDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridiansx View Post
i second oldfishlady's words, let nature takes its course and just let the fish do what nature intended. plus the eggs and frys are fragile and new breeder, just let them be and learn. i'm breeding giants at the moment, i want to see a foot long betta. maybe in the next 20 years there will be one.
A foot long betta would be awesome. :)
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #44 
SmeathysBettas

Lolz, heck yes!! :3
Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #45 
tpocicat

Males usually don't eat while taking care of their fry.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #46 
SmeathysBettas

There's a few free swimmers! At least, they're trying. Papa keeps scoopin them up before they get too far. He will be coming out once there are more FSs.

So, problem. I wanted to suck up some of the icky stuff on the tank bottom (being extra careful not to get a fry) and I notice some wiggly little wormy things.
First of all... EWW!
Secondly, what daaaa? What are they? Are they bad, will they hurt mah babies? How'd they get in (could it be from the IAL)? What do I need to do to make em go away? Yuck! *snarls at tank*

My snails doin a half arsed job of cleaning up... just out of curiousity, can I put a ghost shrimp in with the fry, or will it eat the baybays? Hmm.

I'm grossed out to the MAX.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #47 
Oldfishlady

Be careful with ghost shrimp and the fry...mean little buggers and they might eat the fry...cherry shrimp are fine...or at least in my spawning tanks I have never had any issues with RCS and fry or even eggs...except for the bad ones and I want them to eat those....any way....most likely the worms are planaira and harmless to the fry...usually the male will eat them...usual cause is high organics in the tank-overfeeding....etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #48 
SmeathysBettas

All is well with the fry. I've been offering BBS twice a day. I haven't actually SEEN anyone of then eat... but the BBS are disappearing, lol, so I suppose they're eating.
The parents are doing just fine too. Broke my heart to watch my male after I took him out. He was a mess; looking for his babies and franticly blowing a fresh nest. He's ok now, just a lil bummed.
Those wormy things are still in the spawn/fry tank. Blech. Will my snail eat them?

Anywho... kinda not much else going on. hope everyone has a good weekend!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #49 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, your poor male! It sounds like he was a good daddy.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #50 
SmeathysBettas

Woowoo! Update time :)
So, the babies are almost 2wks old! They all look super. I am already noticing a few fry that are larger than the others, that's normal... right? I knwo I'll have to seperate the big ones from the small ones eventually and all... but you know, just thinkin :)
Papa has torn his fins up, as I expected, even with all my efforts to keep him entertained and his water extra clean. Siiiigh. Guess he's just depressed? I suppose I need to let him work thru it, lol.

Now I'm wondering... when can dry/pellet/flake foods be introduced? I know I'm getting too far ahead (like always) but I'm curious. I looked at the "first bites" food when I was browsing my LPS. That stuff any good for betta fry?
Also, I don't know if its too soon (or not soon enough, yikes) but I've started doing a few drips of the aged water. I've read that one trick is to not fuss with WCs until the tank is full again. 1/4gal a day or something? I haven't been adding even close to that a day (maybe 1/2 cup?).

Uhmm I guess I could use a little direction here!?

TY in advance