Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #1 
chick3n564

Unhappy I think my Betta is about to die. Anything I can do?

um, I think my fish is about to die. It used to be bright red and now its white, lays on the bottom of the hospital tank i made, and has a black spot under its gills.

chick3n564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #2 
Fieldz

Looks like some really bad internal fungus...

Try treating him with aq salt and using medicaments. Read the guides on how to treat your betta for anything at diseases and emergencies section of the forums.

I am really sorry but I have no idea of what it could be... Put all your aquarium info here.

Good luck my friend, I hope your mate gets better.

Last edited by Fieldz; 11-08-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #3 
jfw

Is he just laying on his side? I can't really see what you are talking about.
Have you researched black spot at all? Someone should post shortly to help you thoroughly. You need to post your tank specs though. There is a sticky under the betta fish diseases and emergencies you can copy and paste it to fill it out.
I hope he gets better..
Is he eating? I see poop in the picture haha hopefully he's not too bad off yet.
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

Pre mix AQUARIUM SALT in the 1 gall jug. Take is from the spring water or from the milk. If it from the milk you need to rinse with water.
Pre mix 2 tsp/gall and do 100% DAILY water changes for 10 days if he survive of course and give us update you might need to increase Aquarium salt to 3 tsp/gall.
I also know good medications but i think you need to do it ASAP.

Make sure water is the same temperature he is already in.

Aquarium salt have antibacterial/fungal effect.

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 11-08-2011 at 02:51 PM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #5 
Myates

Poor boy.. was his body fully red, or was it always cambodian colored? (tan coloration with red fins?)

Don't use AQ salt until we figure this out- if it is something to do with his swim bladder, AQ salt can make it worse.

What is the temp of his home tank?
How many gallons is his home tank, as well as what is your water change schedule? (how often and the %)
Do you use water conditioner?
What is the temp of the home tank?
(I ask about the home tank as it is where it started and could be an indication of what had happened)

Other then the color change, black spot, and laying on his side, is there any other symptoms?
Can he swim right side up, or is he continuously on his side? Any gasping for air while laying down there? Any trouble swimming up for air?

Is there a way to get a picture of the black spot? Is it on his stomach, or on his gills?

Do you see any white cottony growth on him, or any milky white substance? I see around his head it looks fuzzy, but can't be sure if it is just the focus of the picture, or if he is fuzzy himself- which could indicate a fungus problem and would be treated differently. He may of lost his color due to being ill and stress- as I can't recall any particular disease that does it. Normally when they lose coloring (due to internal parasite or fungus) they go to a grey color- that one looks like a normal cambodian coloration.

Without more info, it's hard to say what exactly is going on. For now, do daily 100% water changes, floating the cup in the tank to keep it warm (78* would be what I recommend for now, as if it is a fungus attack, warmer water will make it spread faster).

If I had more time I would do some research right now, but have to go to daughter's school in a few minutes. I'll check back as soon as I am free.

Last edited by Myates; 11-08-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #6 
chick3n564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Poor boy.. was his body fully red, or was it always cambodian colored? (tan coloration with red fins?)

Don't use AQ salt until we figure this out- if it is something to do with his swim bladder, AQ salt can make it worse.

What is the temp of his home tank?
How many gallons is his home tank, as well as what is your water change schedule? (how often and the %)
Do you use water conditioner?
What is the temp of the home tank?
(I ask about the home tank as it is where it started and could be an indication of what had happened)

Other then the color change, black spot, and laying on his side, is there any other symptoms?
Can he swim right side up, or is he continuously on his side? Any gasping for air while laying down there? Any trouble swimming up for air?

Is there a way to get a picture of the black spot? Is it on his stomach, or on his gills?

Do you see any white cottony growth on him, or any milky white substance? I see around his head it looks fuzzy, but can't be sure if it is just the focus of the picture, or if he is fuzzy himself- which could indicate a fungus problem and would be treated differently. He may of lost his color due to being ill and stress- as I can't recall any particular disease that does it. Normally when they lose coloring (due to internal parasite or fungus) they go to a grey color- that one looks like a normal cambodian coloration.

Without more info, it's hard to say what exactly is going on. For now, do daily 100% water changes, floating the cup in the tank to keep it warm (78* would be what I recommend for now, as if it is a fungus attack, warmer water will make it spread faster).

If I had more time I would do some research right now, but have to go to daughter's school in a few minutes. I'll check back as soon as I am free.
His body was a Bright Red. Also, I do not know the temperature of the tank (I'm a Newbie, I will be getting a tank thermometer and a tank warmer and other things soon)
His tank was 2 gallons, and i changed it every 2 weeks and the change was a 100% change.
I did not use water conditioner (I just got a goldfish tank, put rocks in, poured spring water in, waited a day, then put him in. Like I said before I'm a total noob )
Another symptom was that he swims at a 45 degree angle and in short bursts (only to eat)
I'll post a picture of the black spot soon...
His head is fuzzy and there's some stuff on his lip, and i dont think it's cambodian (lol I'm actually part cambodian )
I'll be changing his water daily now.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

Sounds like part of his problem is ammonia/chlorine poisoning =( You absolutely have to have a good water conditioner, bettas can't handle all the chemicals that are in our tap water. In a 2 gallon tank, you need to make twice weekly water changes with conditioned water, one 50% and one 100%. Bettas secrete ammonia when they pass waste and when they breathe, and too much of it can make them sick. Not sure about the fuzz around his head, but it could be extra slimecoat from being in water with no conditioner. I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time with your first betta, I hope he gets better soon!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #8 
chick3n564

Thanks for the advice =) I'll go get a water conditioner
Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #9 
Myates

Indy is right, you need water conditioner with tap- it could be his slime coating trying to protect him.
I think between that and lack of proper water changes is what had caused his problems- no wonder why I was stumped on diseases.

I would set out more water right now for a day until you can get some conditioner (even get some at Walmart). Make sure it takes out chlorine, neutralizes nitrate/ites and binds metals.
Is your 2 gallon filtered?
If so then I recommend doing weekly 50% water changes, each time dosing with the water conditioner, and siphoning with a small siphon 2-4 times a month during water changes, if you don't have a siphon, can stir up the gravel and cup out as much waste as you can.
If your tank is unfiltered, you would need to do weekly 1 50% and 1 100%, dosing with water conditioner each time.

Right now, the only thing that can help him is warm water dosed with conditioner- as I don't think medicine will do much. This seems to be water chemistry related.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

Get PRIME or stress coat by API or AmQuel+ plus by Kordon Removes Nitrate,Nitrite,Ammonia,Cloramines,&Chlorines. Those 3 the best water conditioners. I saw people discussion about that. I don't remember brand for the PRIME but i will check on it tomorrow i have it written down at work. I read on this forum a lot of people recommending PRIME and Stess coat . I am using AmQuel+ for long time.
I heard bad responses on other brands though.
I hope your betta will get better.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta laying down, dying betta, sick betta