Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #1 
EmmaliLucia

Exclamation Need massive amounts of help!

So I have a boy betta (Jack) and a girl betta (Babydoll), I keep them in a ten gallon tank with a divider in the middle, I've been feeding them regularly, no ammonia, chlorine, the water is consistently at 76 Fahrenheit.

I woke up this morning and saw two bettas on one side of the tank , somehow my female got through the barrier and beat my male up so badly he barely has any tail left. I put her in a half gal tank that I still have laying around, but what should I do for him?! And why is my female so aggressive?
EmmaliLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #2 
Myates

Welcome, and yeah.. you've just learned that bettas are great jumpers! Girls can often be more aggressive then males.. my girl Anya loves to flare at Xander and all he wants is some lovin' hehe.. silly girls, why I love having them, they have spunk!

Anyways.. He should be fine if he isn't showing any other signs of distress- gasping for air at the surface, laying sideways, cuts or open wounds, etc. If it is just his fins then he should be fine. Stress coat will help fin regrowth, as well as a high protein diet. Keep the water clean for a while- keep up with the regular water changes, possibly even upping it a bit for the first few weeks.
You should start seeing growth over the next few weeks, it will be a white-clear tips. It could take weeks to a couple months to fully grow out. As long as you keep the water clean, he shouldn't have any issues with rot.

You can place her back in her side of the tank, lower the water level by a few inches (3-4) until you can make the divider taller and/or add a section to make a T on top.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #3 
EmmaliLucia

Yeah he's looking fine other than his fins. I decided to put him in the half-gallon tank because that will be much easier to clean and help with his medication. Thank you, I was having a mini-heart attack when I woke up.
EmmaliLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #4 
Curlyfatbottom

Your lucky its just fin and not a dead fish....
From the little info your raising vt or delta/hm....
Add a little aquasalt to your water it will help him recover...
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #5 
Myates

Don't add in AQ salt- he needs no medicines. It's just torn fins- clean water with regular water changes is enough...

I don't want to harp, but AQ salt isn't a go-to for just anything. Over use/exposure can and does easily harm their internal organs, and causes damage such as kidney failure. Why it's recommended for certain treatments, and for certain lengths of time. Over exposure such as using it now, will create an immunity in both the fish and the bacteria that causes fin rot.. so if he does develop fin rot, the most common and best medication won't be as effective. Also, AQ salt has potential to hamper fin regrowth- it is used to treat specific bacteria, not a damaged from a fight torn fin..

Just lower the water level to make it harder to jump out (3-4 inches), add in stress coat when you do water changes and that will be enough. It will easily take over a month to grow back- no reason to keep him confined that long, and definitely can't treat him for that length of time.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #6 
Curlyfatbottom

Y I suggest aquasalt...
Know a few people who fight there fish....
Most of them treat there fish with salt...
With low warm water....
Old 11-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #7 
Myates

..... this fish isn't harmed other then some ripped fins. There is no body damage, so there is no need for treatment other then clean water.

She can if she wants, but all it does is put the fish in needless stress and potential internal damage and risk of immunity for when it is actually needed.

If she wants to help the fin regrowth, high protein diet and Stress Coat. Salt tends to hamper fin growth.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #8 
Myates

Wait.. aquasalt.. pool salt? o.O
aquasalt
Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #9 
Curlyfatbottom

Aquasalt or table salt
Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #10 
Myates

You don't use table salt o.O

AQ salt (aquarium salt, not "aquasalt") is the one you use for treatments.. but in this case, you don't use anything. I am not going to tell her to do something that your friends use who fight their bettas, as they are not treating them properly- for both after fights and having them fight to begin with.