Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #1 
jessiepbg

Genetically Weak Fish? I Think He's Finally Dying...

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gall
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets, bloodworms on occasion
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, he used to eat 4 pellets total, but now he won't eat anything.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.4
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's visibly emaciated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Ongoing since I got him in March
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Tried aq salt treatments, parasite tabs, bloodworms to put weight on
Does your fish have any history of being ill? As long as I've had him
How old is your fish (approximately)?Got him in March from Petco

I've had this gorgeous betta since March. Within a week of getting him, I was on this website looking for help because he was just lying on the bottom of the tank. He looked OK all summer, but always was lying on something and never looked all that healthy. Now he's stopped eating and is visibly skinny. He's tiny, probably a half inch shorter than my next smallest betta and hasn't grown at all in 8 months. I've tried everything. For a while it seemed like keeping his tank a little warmer was helping, but now it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm getting to think that he's just genetically weak and I'm not sure what I should do with him. I never really got to bond with him, but I'm still really broke up over how uncomfortable he must be.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #2 
inkrealm

I hate how these go :/ it's so sad that they don't breed their fish responsibly... since I can't seem to find much wrong with your info, unless I'm missing something, ( except maybe that a 3 gallon might need a 100 every now and then? not sure.. ) I suspect you're right in saying genetics... they seem to cause such awful issues in pet store fish... you could pamper him till the end, or take the hard route and make a post requesting the most humane way to euthanize... sometimes the genetic issues can be handled with special care... but if the poor sweet boy won't eat and nothing will coax him to, it may be the only solution...
I'd talk to Oldfishlady, check about the 100% change thing, and ask her if she knows anything enticing to soak food in... that's probably the best bet... if he won't take that he may very well just not be able to tough it out anymore... but if anyone knows how to handle it she'd probably be the one. very sorry to hear about this... :/ glad you know you did all you could though <3 bettas can be very hard in this sense....
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #3 
earthworm88

Hi Jessie,
Sorry to hear your guy is not doing so great.
It is possible that it may be genetics, but it is more likely he was already a weak or sick fish to begin with, so his health has been deteriorating since you got him. Unfortunately, not eating is the biggest hindrance to recovery.

From reading your sticky, I would suggest lowering his water level and keep it at 1 gal and change the water every other day. Ideally, for a unfiltered 3 gal, you probably should change water 100% weekly. Your 50% means there may be a slow accumulation of ammonia build up over time, which could be poisoning your betta all this time. Also, I think your water pH is on the high side. May be you need to check again to see if that is constant. I generally won't mess with pH as a tiny up and down in adjustment means a world of difference for them. Hopefully one of the experts can chime in here.

Try to soak the pellets in some garlic juice to entice him to see if he is interested. They usually love frozen bloodworms or daphnia, did you try those?

I have a genetically weaker betta with a SBD. He is still happy because he still loves to eat. His growth is stunted (fins grew slightly longer but limpy, body same size, inability to self-repair), blind, and acts psychotic lol

Do you have any photos of your guy? Sometimes it's better to make accurate diagnosis with photos.

Good luck, I hope he will recover.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #4 
jessiepbg

I've tried everything suggested, but thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to just have to suck it up and euthanize him, he hasn't come out of his terra cotta pot in days. I'm going to do the clove oil and vodka method if he's still alive tomorrow.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote