Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #1 
preston777

a little help please?

hey guys im new to the forums, looks like a great place for info! anyways my names preston. ive kept betta for (and salwater fish) for a good number of years now however ive never attempted to breed bettas. Ive had a 5 gallon aquarium for sometime now with a few tetras and such, anyways ive given the fish that were in the aquarium a new home and ive just placed on ive my male veiltail in the aquarium pictured below. the aquarium is simple, its kept at 78f with a substrate of brown gravel, sparsely planted with a few larger rocks.. im using a regular "hang on the back" filter that came with the simple setup (at walmart lol). would it be possible to breed my male with a female i have in this current setup? ive done my research and i figure if i keep the male solo in the tank for a few days, add some floating plants and then float the female in a jar for a good period that this may actually work.. any advice?

thanks for any advice!
preston777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #2 
JAB91

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Breeding bettas is a lot of work and definitely time consuming and you costly, definitely to a lot of research and read all the stickys on here.
Other than that, your setup sounds good. I've bred and raised bettas in a 5 gal with no problems. You would want to leave the filter out though because it will destroy the males bubblenest. If you wanna use a filter go with a sponge filter. Also have you conditioned or will condition the male and female?
JAB91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #3 
preston777

ive been feeding them freeze dried bloodworms for the past couple months, is this enough?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #4 
JAB91

Yes but more variety would be better. What I give mine are frozen bbs, frozen daphna, mosquito larvae when available, and pellets and there ready within about 10 days.
JAB91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Do not breed with gravel. It's better to use bare bottom or if you want to use substrates, use pot soil or sand.
So to your current setup, I'd take the gravel, rock and filter out.

Try using frozen BW instead or freeze dried.

Oh, welcome to the forum. It's always nice to have new members.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #6 
preston777

thanks guys! ill keep you updated, also; this female show alot of agression towards my males, is this a good thing or a bad thing? usually its the other way around..
Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #7 
betta89

i have that same tank the filter is way to harsh you should get a filter sponge tto make the in flow and also you should do the out flow to dull down the sukiness?and out flow of the filter

sorry that dosent make mutch sense im bad with words if some one can help explane what i mean better that would be mutch apriciated :)

Last edited by betta89; 10-23-2011 at 04:41 PM.
betta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #8 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston777 View Post
thanks guys! ill keep you updated, also; this female show alot of agression towards my males, is this a good thing or a bad thing? usually its the other way around..

Have you done any research on breeding betta? If not I highly recommend bettysplendens.com or any of the sticky's we have available here. Truth is that so many people join the forum and want to breed without doing any research and then when they have a problem instead of looking it up they ask the forum members. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't happen as frequently as it does. I know that you are just curious and that's wonderful that you want to ensure the safety of your betta's. I would just do a bit of searching on what behaviors female betta
exhibit when ready to spawn.

Good luck with the spawn!!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #9 
preston777

thanks again for the help guys, ive been to that site and many more and have been researching and debating on doing it or not for a few months now, ive tried in the past with the normal "tub setup", however the eggs never hatched.. im not doing this for profit and i do understand the grow out procedure and i have a 55g i can use for that when the time comes. im just wondering however; what if the waters not 6 inches deep, what if there is gravel and decor..? would the bettas not breed in this kind of "classic" setup i guess you would say? I understand that fewer eggs will be found by the male but like i said im really not doing this for a few hundred babies or money.. if this wont work ill remove the gravel and larger stones i just kind of wanted my pair to feel as if their in a some what natural habitat if that makes sense lol..

i added a few more plants today, ive also floated the female in a jar.. they should already be conditioned with the diet you mentioned above, thats pretty much all my bettas ever eat.. i plan on leaving the filter on while i condition them for three more days and then removing it.. then i plan on adding floating plants and waiting on the male to build a nest before her release but in more or less words do i just let the tank get kind of dirty during the breeding of the pair? ill post more pics soon!

thanks again!

Last edited by preston777; 10-23-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #10 
preston777