Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #21 
coldpizzaonmondays

Myates- Ooooh he is mad at me. I swear he was giving me a death glare for taking more pictures and shining more lights on him. He's actually started swimming away as quickly as possible when he sees my camera now. Poor baby.

With flash (the brownish bit floating by him is the bottom of a plant, they don't seem to like to stay upright without being wedged between some rocks):

With flashlight:

Silverfang- Yeah they certainly don't tell you that at the pet store when you buy them... they also don't tell you anything else you would ever need to know about them aside from "Uh... throw him in some water... he needs that stuff."
coldpizzaonmondays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #22 
twalker3

thanks for posting this. i hope this helps my Betta. he has the same problem.
twalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #23 
coldpizzaonmondays

I was hunting through hundreds of forums trying to find a solution, and then I realized... oh... duh, it'd probably be smarter to describe everything and post pictures of my own fish and see if anyone can help. I hope your fish gets better soon too! I'll keep posting anything that happens and keep everyone updated, so you'll know if anything specifically works well or doesn't work. Good luck! :)
Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #24 
coldpizzaonmondays

Bad news everyone... the cottony fungus on his fins is back, and I tried to feed him one small freezedried bloodworm and he threw it up a few minutes later. Also tried getting him to flare with the mirror... flared as usual, but no poo. I'll be changing his water again tonight, should I put part of a fungus tab in along with the epsom salts this time? I think it was that that got rid of the fungus the first time, but I'm guessing it just didn't get rid of everything, so it came back.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #25 
coldpizzaonmondays

Put a tiny amount of the fungus tab in, and as it was fizzing, a curious Fishy watched it, completely confused and then of course tried to eat it. I don't know if he actually got any of it... but I hope it doesn't hurt him, though I don't imagine it would... also before I got a chance to fish out the worm he burped up he ate it again... Lesigh...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #26 
sjones

I didn't read through all this but in a 1/2 gallon you should be doing 100% water changes EVERY day, 4-6 days is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to long

good luck
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #27 
coldpizzaonmondays

I know that now. I was going off of the information they gave me at the petstore as I knew NOTHING about betta fish. This is why I now have a 2.65 gallon tank that should be arriving today with a filter. I only wish that the people at the petstore would have been more knowledgeable. I had only had mollies and goldfish before when I was younger and they were in a tank my parents bought me as a birthday gift or something which had a filter, so I really knew nothing.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #28 
Myates

Oh just tell him to hush and that it was me who made you do it :P I'll take the dirty looks, I've learned to give the dirty look right back! I have one who has an attitude hehe..

Good news is.. he doesn't have velvet :) There is no sign, no grains on him that I can see.
Yes.. start the fungus meds on him again, follow directions on package carefully and to the T. It started to clear but since we removed it came back. Was hoping the clean water would do the trick, I don't like using meds >.<

His bloating has gone down, which is good. I would give him another day or two in the Epsom to make sure it completely goes away.

Don't worry about the food if he doesn't eat- he won't starve. He is probably just a little stressed over all the fuss going on with his treatment. He probably tried to eat it too fast and went down the wrong "tube", or it was a little too big so he bit off part of it and spit the rest out to swallow what he had in his mouth. They are weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
I didn't read through all this but in a 1/2 gallon you should be doing 100% water changes EVERY day, 4-6 days is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to long
Luckily he's in a larger tank now :)
Even with a half gallon, 100% daily water changes can be too much. 100% every 2-3 days is fine, or could go 50% every other day.
That is another reason why you take anything a pet store employee says about a betta with a grain of salt, if even that.. normally they give you info just enough to keep them alive for a bit.. and that is if you're lucky.
(And that doesn't go for all employees, there are some great ones, like some members of the forum :) )
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #29 
coldpizzaonmondays

I left him in the tank with a bit of the fungus tab (I say a bit because the whole tab is for 10 gallons so by the time I broke it down into pieces for 2.5 gallon it would've been in possible to break those pieces in half any longer, so I just snapped off a little piece and threw it in... roughly enough for a .5gal tank), after I'm finished my night class tonight I'll be heading back and changing his water again, cleaning the tank, and adding conditioned and salted water back in. I'll see if he's able to keep down another li'l worm again, and take some photos to upload to see how he's doing.
I think he was just too excited about the food that he ate it too quickly and then realized it was a bad idea... and then regretted it and decided he wanted to it eat it anyway. Crazy fish...

And I just got a text from Amazon saying his new tank was delivered! Hurrah! So I'll set that up tonight as well so he can ooh and ah from his little hospital tank at his new home while it settles and filters and all that fun stuff. :)

If the same girl who helped me pick him and all of his stuff out is at Petco when I go this weekend, I'll have to fill her in on the things I learned so hopefully she can more aptly help any other future betta owners.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #30 
Myates

hehe it sounds like he is doing good, yay! And yay on the new tank arrival!
I have a girl that half the time when she sees my hand opening the lid to feed her, she jumps out of the water and clear across to the other side. Before I even have a piece of food in my hand.. wanna talk about excited over food.. sheesh.

Good luck with the employee, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But see, I don't mind stepping on their toes whenever I see someone being given wrong info on bettas.. did it about a month ago with someone and their goldfish. All you can do is just hope that eventually the owner (like you) will read up and realize they can make a few changes, and care enough to actually make those changes.
I don't mind when people are misinformed on the care of these guys as much- it's the ones who refuse to do the minimum of care after learning the proper way that gets under my skin.
Heck, my very first betta years ago, before the age of internet, was just in a bowl. I don't remember how I learned to take care of fish back then actually.. I just remember checking out a lot of fish books hehe.
Once we get that rot in check, he'll be a happy, healthy guy and be your dancing buddy for years :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated belly, cotton fins, dropsy, fungus, sick