Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #1 
Narissa1985

friends for my betta

Could someone please give me any hints as to how i can feed my white clouds without the betta eating it all up on them????? i don't want his friends to die from starvation but i also don't want my betta to die form over feeding, please any suggestions????
Narissa1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 
GreenTea

Cup your betta while you feed the others, just grab a clean tupperware container (preferably new) or petco cup, or something similar, scoop him into it and let it float in the tank while you feed the others =]

Out of curiosity, how are the clouds doing with the warmer temps? I know they can survive in lots of water temperatures but they thrive in cold water. They are cute fish..
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #3 
diablo13

Do the Clouds nip the bettas fins? I'd find it curious if they didn't. And just a pet peeve of mine, bettas don't have "friends". They are solitary fish, and they are tankmates.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #4 
Narissa1985

Oh thank you soo much :) i will give it a go
Well I'm a newbie to fish i brought my betta for my daughter and have fallen in love with him :) the lady at the pet shop tried getting me to buy a tiny box for the betta and i felt terrible to even think of him in a tiny cube so i got about a 1 litre tank for him, still too tiny after what i have been reading about betta's, so i will be investing in a bigger tank,heater and other bit's and pieces to make his life more happier for him. so at the moment the white clouds seem to be fine which i was also recommended to get as friends for him, have i made a mistake????:( i don't have a heater for the tank as i was told they would not need it! but now after doing my research which i bloody should have done before even purchasing him i feel terrible:(
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 
Narissa1985

no the white clouds seem to stay away from the betta, i have seen him chase them around the tank they are only tiny little things. Will they grow bigger????
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #6 
GreenTea

It's ok, you're doing your best now and that's what is important. It's possible to keep them together but as you already know they should be in a much bigger tank. Some minnow tetras like that are kind of nippy, it depends on the personality of your betta. Returning the clouds might be a good idea, yeah. There is lots of bad info on bettas out there, and as an aggressive species they often do best solitary. Female bettas can be kept together under certain circumstances. But no, bettas don't need friends the way say like, rats or goldfish do best with companionship. Just keep doing research, clean water is most important. If you can keep the water clean while they're all together it'll be ok. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #7 
Narissa1985

Oh thank you sooo sooo much :)
Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #8 
diablo13

When you say a 1 litre tank......with a Betta and 6 White Clouds.....do you mean 1/4 of a gallon? If you're trying to keep other fish, I would say you should only try it In 10+ gallons.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #9 
Narissa1985

oh no just 2 white clouds and the betta fish :) i have just ordered a 27 litre tank which i think is around 7 or 8 gallons, which should be sufficient????
Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #10 
diablo13

It's 7 gallons. And im Very sorry, but that won't work :( White Clouds actually need to be in Schools of at Least 6, and a minimum tank size is 10 gallons. If you live near a petco, you can get a 10 gallon bare for 12$.