Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #1 
teasell

Gill Issues

I bought two male Bettas from ebay about a month ago. One is very healthy the other seems to have had issues from the start but has recently become very sick. Main issues are lethargy and one of his gills seems to be swollen and does not fully close.

I have in in aquarium salt and he is so much better but his gill is still swollen open. I seem to recall that i noticed his gill being odd maybe over 2 weeks ago. Plus side is he is now swimming about and is not nearly as lethargic but his anal and dorsal fins are clamped his tailfin is normal not clamped.

Anymore that i can do for him besides the aquarium salt and oak leaf tannins that I have been treating him with??? Right now he is in a QT Kritter keeper.

Will try and post a picture this evening. Like I said he is better and is on his 6th day of aquarium salt with daily changes. I am worried but I have hope

Thanks
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It may be due to a parasite...like gill flukes....is he flashing any....eating okay.....

Other possible causes are-scar tissue, tumor or injury, however, with the other symptoms- makes you think more in the line of gill parasite of some type...

Can you see in the gill area-that can be a challenge...lol.....I would continue the salt (sodium chloride) at 2tsp/gal, tannins and water change treatment for a full 10 days and then if all the symptoms resolve except the swollen gill-try Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins to see if that will reduce the edema.....and research gill flukes to see if that fits what you are seeing....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #3 
teasell

Thanks OLF. I had been treating with aquarium salt since last wednesday but he didn't make it. He had been doing better yesterday but when I woke up this morning he was much worse. He died this afternoon so sad poor thing at least he is not in pain. How do I disinfect his quarantine container. Should I use vinegar or bleach rinse real good and let sit in sunlight???
Old 11-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....

Usually a good cleaning with warm running water is enough to take care most problems, however, with unknown deaths and/or possible parasites...a diluted bleach cleaning with a good rinse and allow the tank and contents to sit and air dry for 24 hour might be a good idea to be on the safe side.....be sure and double up on the dechlorinator on the finial fill.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #5 
teasell

Thanks again. Sure wish I could have saved him he had the potential to be so pretty.....