Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #1 
maggie9059789

Ick and velvet dunno wat 2 do

hi!!!! so i think its turns out that my beta fish (crowntail) has ick AND velvet. i have a thread about his ick from before but now it turns out the blue shiny scales near the rear of his body to part of his tail is gold when i shine a flashlight on(i just checked 5 mins ago).and i'm currently treating him with his ick with 1ml of API's super ick cure(every other day) along with a pinch of salt every day and 50% water changes everymorning. (and all of the new fresh water has stress coat added to the tap water) WHAT SHOULD I DO?CONTINUE THIS OR WHAT? theres only a bit of gold below his head nd quite a bit by the end of his body in the area where the tail begins HELPPPP PLZ this is my first betta thank you :D

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=85292

^'s old thread about his ick
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Velvet looks like a finer powder of dust, not just a shine.

It's fairly regular for a betta to have a gold shimmer to the underside of its gills and its belly.

http://www.petfish.net/articles/pix/arts3/velvet.jpg
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #3 
maggie9059789

he lives in a bowl cubed shaped i'd say over 1 gallon about/around 1.5 gallons i dont think its 2 its made of plastic

there's a new heater i brought for him but it only keeping water temp at constant 24 degrees celcous but my dad just made his own heater and it raised the temp now to 29-30 degrees celceous and i have the other heater as a backp to make sure it doesnt get lower than 25 the homemade one doesnt have its own censor but i'm constantly checking on blazer since i'm super worried about him

i've got the API super ick cure medision on saturday,so 4 days ago,and i was instructed to add that every other day with 50% water changes daily in the morning

fish is now currently mostly stays at top of the tank,in corners,stays near that black heater theres a link to that heater in the other thread link's there^(1st post ) fins r still clamped,white dots and stuff from ICH/ICK which one is it? spelt ick or ich btw?

AND PLEASE GIVE ME DIRECT SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS PLZ I WILL FOLLOW THEM STEP BY STEP AND INCLUDE TEMPERATURES,HOW MUCH AQUARIU SALT,HOW MUCH STRESS COAT (ITS ALSO MY WATER CLEANER) AND API'S SUPER ICK CURE AND SHOULD I CONTINUE WHAT I'M ALREADY DOING?CHANGE IT UP HOW? WATER CHANGES?HOW OFTEN?HOW MUCH?%? thank you i'm seriosuly new at this first ever pet and first ever sickness
Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

If it's not a gold powder look, then I doubt that he has velvet.

Bettas have a natural iridescent layer, which tends to become stronger as they become healthier. Some bettas have a stronger iridescent layer than others (I have a red and white one that can turn completely light blue depending on light).

So when you shine the flashlight on your boy, does it look like a powder or just a shine on the scales?

Can you post a picture of him so we can see if he does have velvet, ick, or if you've gone over the treatment length (Might explain any lethargy)?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #5 
maggie9059789

uuh i'm pretty sure he has ick,he has TOOONNNSSS of lil really tiny white dots like all over his body like when i concentrate on his lower fin the big one and since its like mostly a solid red normally i can easily see alot of tiny white dots n blobs,but now oday hes also maybe shedding like white stuff,like maybe its slime coat o something (i dont really even knwo what that is)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
in ^ it might be the body slime infection thinggy
i'm not sure what a white film is but its like a blob of white that looks really delicate like maybe a bit of dust looking white blob (i'm really bad with words) but i dont think thats a really big problem for now is it? i think the big problem right now is his ick
Old 11-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Maggie, I'm pretty sure your boy has ich but I doubt he has velvet. Pata's right, lots of bettas have a golden sheen to them. The whitish stuff you see him shedding off is probably excess slime coat. When a fish has that many external parasites, he will create lots of slime coat to try and dislodge them. That slime coat will then shed off, creating the whitish blob stuff you're seeing.

The best way to treat ich is with AQ salt, high heat, and lots and lots of water changes. Here's how you can best go about it:

First, make sure his water is super clean and free of medicines. Get aquarium salt. You'll want to measure out 3 teaspoons of aquarium salt. Dissolve this salt in a small bowl of dechlorinated water (water treated with water conditioner). When it's dissolved, pour it into his tank. Now, if you can, turn up the heat in his tank to about 28 or 29 degrees celsius. He needs high heat because it speeds up the life cycle of the ich parasites.

Here's the important part. Every day, you need to remove your betta to a separate container and dump out all the water in his tank. Rinse it and refill it with dechlorinated water and the 3 tsps of AQ salt. Make sure the heat gets back up to 28 or 29 and then add your betta. This way, he won't get shocked by the temp. Do this every day until you don't see any white parasites on him. Then continue with the treatment for an additional 3 days. After that, you can stop and gradually readjust your betta to normal temperatures and remove the salt from the water.

The key is the water change because it removes all the parasites that have fallen off. If you don't change the water, the parasites will just reattach.

I hope this helps you, Maggie. Good luck and keep us posted. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #7 
maggie9059789

yah i am going to do that in 2 days, i have to continue and finnish this medicion treatment before switching or next time the parasite/pathogens might become imune to medicion and then i'd lose medicion as a choice of way to treat sicknesses
Old 11-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Uhm, I'm not sure about that but definitely do whatever you are most comfortable doing. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote