Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #1 
Nickpearson1985

Question UV sterilizer for breeding?

Would a UV sterilizer be a good idea for a breeder tank? Would it help with the common fry diseases, parasites, and fungus? Or would it do more harm than good by killing good bacteria and such? Anyone use/used one?
Nickpearson1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

My view on this.....it could cause more harm than good..by killing both good and bad pathogens the fish will not be able to establish a healthy immune response from antibody development.....

In your own system to keep a single Betta as a pet...it may not be that big of an issue...but if you breed or show....it could cause problems-especially for a buyer that doesn't use UV sterilization...

Being a naturalist and breeder-I want my fish to develop a strong immune response by natural selection...

This is just my take on it...or my opinion.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #3 
floridiansx

agree with oldfishlady. you don't need to waste money on uv. wild bettas have survived on ground waters for thousands of years, they should be fine in your clean treated tank water.
floridiansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #4 
Nickpearson1985

Thanks for your thoughts. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I used to get a decent yield before. Was pretty much wondering if anyone had seen a vast improvement with one. But I guess not. Thanks again!
Nickpearson1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #5 
bhannon

The UV light is not only dangerous to your fish but also to you. It causes cancer in a pretty significant way. I had to do experiments in college using UV light and our professor made us wear special gloves that block it from our skin. The UV can also cause your fishes gametes to mutate and make them sterile.

The reason it kills things in the take is because it ruins the DNA and makes it unusable so the organism cant heal or grow eventually killing it. The same thing can happen to the cells of your fish if its a prolonged exposure. UV is scary stuff
bhannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #6 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhannon View Post
The UV light is not only dangerous to your fish but also to you. It causes cancer in a pretty significant way. I had to do experiments in college using UV light and our professor made us wear special gloves that block it from our skin. The UV can also cause your fishes gametes to mutate and make them sterile.

The reason it kills things in the take is because it ruins the DNA and makes it unusable so the organism cant heal or grow eventually killing it. The same thing can happen to the cells of your fish if its a prolonged exposure. UV is scary stuff
Wow interesting stuff! Thanks for that!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote