Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #1 
Sassington

Question Eek!

Okay, so I thought I'd do a random water test on my 3 gallon tank. I haven't checked all chemicals levels yet but the ammonia level is 0.25 ppm but my next water change isn't for another 3 days (this Sunday) ... should I do a quick water change/gravel siphon tonight? Do you think the ammonia level will shoot up to a lethal level in the next 3 days? I neglected to siphon the gravel this past weekend when I did a 50% waterchange and I'm thinking that's where I made a mistake.

I swapped out my heater last night and part of the filter hit the floor, so I had to rinse everything off and that maybe where I'm getting into trouble as well....

What's a newbie to doooooo?
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #2 
Myates

I would just do a small one, like 10-15% for now and go ahead and dose the water for the full volume of the tank with conditioner. That should hold off until Sunday. Even if you still have trace ammonia, it shouldn't be that bad. Also, don't forget that sometimes the kits will trace ammonium, which the test kit can't tell the difference, but ammonium is safe for them.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #3 
Sassington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I would just do a small one, like 10-15% for now and go ahead and dose the water for the full volume of the tank with conditioner. That should hold off until Sunday. Even if you still have trace ammonia, it shouldn't be that bad. Also, don't forget that sometimes the kits will trace ammonium, which the test kit can't tell the difference, but ammonium is safe for them.
Myates, always my rescuer. Thank you. I didn't know if I should go semi-all out or to not panic because I don't know how fast ammonia levels can spike over a span of a few days. My guy seems to be fine otherwise. Thanks! ;)
Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #4 
Myates

No problems. They can go a long time in unfavorable ammonia conditions, but that is always a risk and just not worth it. So just doing a small one will be helpful.

Next time if you have to rinse out your filter, just take some water from the tank and put it in a bucket and use that water to rinse out the filter- that is how you clean out the sponge filters as it is. But just rinsing it, I don't think it would of caused too much issues, as you still will have some bacteria in there, along with what is in your tank that is already established in the gravel and such. Plus, not going to hurt to put in a little fresh clean water extra now and again, so by taking water out to clean the filter, could be a good thing in the end hehe
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 
Sassington

Ooooh man... he is MAD AT ME! Yeesh... I had a really hard time catching him with a net to put him in a cup and switch out a little water and add some conditioner... his dorsal fin is all clamped and he does NOT want to be out of his home right now. I didn't know fish could sulk so much. :-\ hope he forgives me.