Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #1 
Newtonbetta

using bleach...

My ornaments have gotten pretty nasty with algae and other gross stuff in the past year. How OK are you guys with using bleach?

I've heard 10% bleach solution should be safe. Is there a danger the bleach could get in the porous parts of the decorations and stay in there?
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

You can use bleach to clean your decorations and tank.
You are right, dilute it before you use it (same as you would for baby toys) and let it dry completely for a couple of days (under the sun if possible) before using them in the tank.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #3 
Newtonbetta

ok - so 10% is ok solution?
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #4 
Brian10962001

A friend of mine makes beer, the equipment has to be sterile and they sell something called Star Sand for just that. He told me last time I was over there that he doesn't even bother buying it anymore because Oxy clean works just as well, doesn't leave a residue or taste in the beer, and is safe for consumption. I haven't done any looking into adapting this to aquarium use, but that might be a better route than bleach.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

Keep in mind that if you think you used too much bleach, or can't seem to get the smell off, that chlorine (the main ingredient in bleach) has a half life or about a week I think. So basically if you have any doubts or worry just let the ornaments sit out for a little while longer.

Oh, and a good water conditioner will remove any residue anyways, so you should be all good. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #6 
brownmane

Any use of bleach needs to be done carefully. As long as you are cleaning your decorations away from your tank and rinse them REALLY well so there is no bleach residue, then things should go ok. Just FYI vinegar can be used for disinfectant like bleach, but is much safer. It too needs really good rinsing. And to be extra sure, do as suggested earlier and leave the decorations out a couple of days to make sure that they have dried in all of the little crevices.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

you don't have to use a bleach solution .. an aq salt and vinegar mix (1 cup salt 1-2 cup vinegar + 1g water) you can add more salt and vinegar for a stronger cleaning solution .. just rinse a few extra times in hot water after .. this will also clean and sterilize your ornaments and IME is safer and more forgiving to use then bleach
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #8 
floridiansx

i have rather be safe than sorry and not use bleach. unless you are trying to get rid of parasites or disease in the tank. hot water and scrubing works for me. no matter what cleaning methods used, algae will still grow on it.
floridiansx is offline   Reply With Quote