Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Please don't disregard this, this is seriously POPEYE

My betta Kai who lives in a 3 gallon tank with one moss ball and silk plants has pop eye. He has not been feeling good the last few days clamped up with this white dot on his head and today I go to check on him:

Swollen right eye. I looked it up right away it seems ich is the cause and my mother will be picking up anti-ich meds after work (four hours today so seriously we're treating this) And I added a little AQ salt.

But guys he has scratches on his face. Reddish scratches like he hurt himself. He likes to go into his dragon statue's mouth to sleep...A lot and he got stuck a few times. I am convinced he hurt himself and it got infected. I haven't been the best betta mom lately and I haven't been doing my absolute best for my babies....That's gonna change.

So please HELP ME! He could LOSE his eye!
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #2 
GreenTea

It sounds like you're doing what you can now...He could also have been scratching himself irritated by ich. For ich you also want to be doing daily water changes. I would also use epsom salt instead of aquarium salts. Have you tested your water? Sorry your boy is not doing so well.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Epsom salt...Alright got it. Thanks and yeah we're getting tons of water right away to ensure the ten day cycle of waterchanges is not broken and EVERYTHING even the moss ball is getting the hot water/vinegar treatment and the dragon is getting scrubbed inside and out. The thing is the scratches are over his head and face and it looks like he dislodged it twice. I'm just grateful everyone here really is helpful. I'm hoping this won't permanantly hurt him in the end.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #4 
Myates

Hmm..

A few things.. was it one single white dot? If so, doesn't mean it is ich- sometimes some of mine will have one white dot somewhere on their body and it usually falls off quickly. If he has a lot of small white dots that look like grains of salt, then it could be Ich. But a single white dot doesn't really mean it is. I would hold off on ich medications until you know for sure.

Otherwise, with a swollen right eye it could be from damage since he has scratches on his face, or it could be from popeye. The clamping of fins could be him stressing over his injuries.

Is his eye just swollen, or is it cloudy/white/red any?

Also, are the red scratches on his gill area? Or on top of his head?

What size tank is he in?
How often are you doing water changes and the %? (Be as accurate as you can, so we can make sure we treat properly)
Do you use water conditioner?
What is the temp of the tank?
Any tankmates?

If you could get a photo, that would be helpful to diagnose easier. Right now I would QT him in warm, clean water until we know better. If you want, you could go ahead and give him 1 tsp of Epsom Salt for now, to help with the swelling- as it is mild and won't cause any other damage. Make sure you dissolve it before adding him to it, and do daily 100% water changes adding in the Epsom each time until swelling goes down.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #5 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Epsom salt...Alright got it. Thanks and yeah we're getting tons of water right away to ensure the ten day cycle of waterchanges is not broken and EVERYTHING even the moss ball is getting the hot water/vinegar treatment and the dragon is getting scrubbed inside and out. The thing is the scratches are over his head and face and it looks like he dislodged it twice. I'm just grateful everyone here really is helpful. I'm hoping this won't permanantly hurt him in the end.
Careful doing that to your moss ball- it is a living organism. Just use clean, warm water to rinse him with.

I would recommend just very hot water for the decorations rather then vinegar. If he has ick, the hot hot water will kill it.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Okay I just described it all in my above first post.

He's in a size three gallon tank alone besides one mossball.

PH has been a little shaky and recent tests came out fine.
Temp is usually 81 degree's.
No tankmates.

No ROOM for a QT tank or cup. I read salt on one site didn't say which kind but he's had these dots on and off for the past two months and finally this one has stayed he's had two of them at a time at most. His eye is cloudy and puffed up. I will call my mother at three thirty to tell her what to get. My instincts are going off and saying there can't only be one way to treat this. I don't want him to lose his eye.

EDIT: Okay hot water for the decor but the glass if getting the vinegar and the moss ball's getting warm water. I'm just scared because the last time I posted about a sick fish he died and no one helped me...Not sure if I got any replies after his death but it would have been too late. Within hours I lost him.

I'm not losing this one.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #7 
Myates

I forgot about the 3 gals.

Go ahead and keep him in Epsom for a couple of days to see if you can get the swelling down- once it is down switch to AQ salt to help with the cloudiness of the eye, as well as cleaning out the scratches. I would say 1-2 tsp per gallon, 100% daily water changes for no longer then 10 days.

As far as the white dots- that doesn't sound like ich and how it progresses.. if his body starts to cover in the tiny white dots all over, then we can start treatment for it. Otherwise, I believe they should fall off within a day or less, especially with the clean water.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

Okay thanks. But we should pick up the anti-ich meds for the future anyways...We should have had all this stuff already but we never calculated it...
Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #9 
Myates

AQ salt works for Ich as well :) But it won't hurt to have the meds!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #10 
Indyfishy

Arashi, same thing keeps happening with my girl!! Little white dots keep showing up on her and then falling off! I posted a thread, and OldFishLady said it's most likely mineral deposits in the water that are falling on the fish. I think if you put him in a QT cup and change the water daily, then you will see the spots disappear. As for the pop-eye, it sounds like he hurt himself when he was scraping his head on the dragon. Epsom salt will draw the swelling out, as Myates suggested.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote