Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #1 
AngelicScars

Question Yep, it happened

My first HM is a tail biter. I'm not going to go to any extremes to heal the damage other then trying to keep the tank warmer, but I would like to keep him from getting bored.
I already changed his tank decor around this past cleaning which I could tell right away helped because he was exploring all over again. Besides having him flare daily, what are other ways to help a bored/tail biting betta?
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #2 
Luimeril

Ichi tail bit after Theo died, so i put him in sight on another betta, my female, Spy. they can see each other, and hide when they don't want to. i don't suggest that to just any betta, though.

with Dante, giving him more plants, and re-arranging all the decor at every water change kept him busy and secure, thus he stopped. try that one out. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Sometimes HM's do it because their tails are too heavy, so he may not stop it if it's making him feel better. Tail biting is so frustrating =(
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
Sometimes HM's do it because their tails are too heavy, so he may not stop it if it's making him feel better. Tail biting is so frustrating =(
Oh I didn't think of that. Hmmmm, he tail isn't super big or anything. I hope what he has done will be the end of it though.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #5 
Luimeril

even if he doesn't stop, it shouldn't bother you too much. just keep his water clean, and he'll be happy. i don't try to stop Ichi anymore. if he does it, he does it. if not, that's good.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

When I got live plants my fish started 'hunting' the little bugs that came in on them. It helped a lot for my long term tail biter.
However, aforementioned tail biter also started chewing his anal fin when it got too heavy. Go figure.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

My boy was obviously doing it in the shop, but when I got him into my 5 gallon with some nice decor and gave him mirror exercises everyday, he stopped and focussed on bubblenesting instead.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

It seems like he stopped biting his tail for now. It looks as though it's growing back already. I hope he has stopped for good, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #9 
AngelicScars

Alright, now I'm SURE he is biting his tail due to the weight. His tail was growing back nicely, then he starting biting again. Now, his tail is growing back again. It seems to grow back quickly at least!