Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #1 
chicagojo

Nervous about moving the fish - please advise if plan looks ok

The heater for our second fish is supposed to get delivered today so I have been figuring out my game plan for moving our two boys to their new homes. Here is my plan - please let me know if I am missing anything. I will be implementing this plan with very eager helpers (ages 5 & 7) looking on so I want to feel confident about what I'm doing and prepared in case anything goes wrong.

Tonight:
1. Wash hands!
2. Rinse EVERYTHING thoroughly in warm/hot water (kritter keepers which are their new homes, heaters, decor, etc)
3. Measure water for new tanks and add appropriate amount of water conditioner (my pharmacy tech was nice enough to give me a little dosing device that you can use to measure pretty specific amounts of liquid so I will plan to use that)
4. Add water to new tanks
5. Add heaters, decor
6. Plug in heaters, turn on heaters, allow them to run for a few hours and check to see if temp appears good; adjust if necessary (heaters are adjustable)

Tomorrow morning:
1. Verify water temp in new tanks is still looking good
2. Cup fish from their current bowls
3. Float fish in cups in new tanks, replacing cup water with tank water after about 10-15 min and then every 15 or so min after that
4. Meanwhile, thoroughly rinse decor items from old bowls that will be moving into new tanks with them, add these items to tanks
5. After about 45 min release fish into new tanks assuming acclimation is going well
6. Monitor fish & water temperature over the course of the day to make sure everything is going smoothly (I will have to rely on the kids and the babysitter for this part as I will be at work)

So, first, am I forgetting anything?

Also, a few "what if" questions:
1) I am planning to keep the water in the new tanks at 78 degrees. I have been bundling their bowls at night but even so sometimes in the morning the temp is down to 68 degrees. I am worried about the 10 degree temp difference and wondering if I should allow more time for acclimation? Unfortunately I am limited in the amount of time I can spend by the fact that I will need to leave for work.

2) If the temp is too high or too low, with an adjustable heater is it better to adjust the heater and let the water temp adjust accordingly (vs adding hot or cold water to bring to the desired temp)?

3) Since I don't have filters, do I need to worry about the heat distributing evenly in the new tanks? My hope is that since I will be letting them sit overnight it will be nice and even by then

4) Can the fish hurt themselves on the heaters? My kids are very worried about this since both fish love to squeeze themselves in between the thermometers and the sides of their current bowls.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions - I have come to realize that I am a very nervous fish owner!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

You won't really need to acclimate them to the water, just stick them in there in their cups and wait until the water in the cup is the same temperature as the water in the tank and you'll be good to go. The heaters won't hurt the fish unless they're malfunctioning.

I'm assuming your tanks are smallish (under 5 gallons?) so even without a filter you'll probably have fairly even heat distribution.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #3 
chicagojo

Yes, they are the xlarge kritter keepers which I think is about 2.5 gallons?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Ya there's no need to get them used to the water chemistry, since it's just like doing a water change. Usually you do that when a fish is going from one type of water (pet store, slat treatments, meds) to another type of water, Going from dirty to to clean water is easy.

My fish sleep behind their heaters :)

Last edited by Pitluvs; 11-09-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

your plan looks good =) and your not missing any steps

to answer your questions
1) as 1f2f said .. it'll be ok since you will be cupping them then floating them in the new tank that's warm .. so they will adjust and adapt to the temperature during that time .. because the colder water in the cup will be the buffer for the 10 degree difference .. and it'll take some time for the water in the tank to heat the cooler water in the cup .. so it won't be a drastic change for your little guys

2) yes it is better to adjust the heater and let the water adjust on it's own vs. trying to add hot and cold water to get the temperature just right .. also this gives you a chance to see how the heater is working for you .. and you can calibrate it so that even if there is a drop in room temperature .. the heater will kick in and keep temps in the tank stable

3) also as 1f2f has stated .. you'll probably get even distribution of heat because the largest critter keeper i've seen is still under 5g's .. i would suggest placement of your thermometer furthest away from the heater .. that way you'll know that the heat has reached the other side

4) no the fish won't hurt themselves on the heater .. usually the suction cups in most heaters (the one's i've owned) leave enough space for bettas to swim through/behind it .. to not get stuck .. just make sure your placement of the heater is at least a quarter size big (half dollar coin big if he is a king betta)

=D good luck !! and looking forward to seeing pictures soon when you have them all set up
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #6 
chicagojo

Great, thank you so much! I really appreciate all the helpful advice. I am glad to hear that I can eliminate the step of swapping out the cup/tank water during the process...one less thing to worry about...I will feel very relieved when this transfer is successful and they are happy in their new homes!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

If your making 100% water changes with the transfer...I would re-acclimate them to the new water as you have listed-by adding small amount of the new tank water to them in the holding cups over 10-15min to be safe....sometimes a slight chemistry change is all it takes to cause problems......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #8 
chicagojo

Thanks. Everything is on hold now anyway because when I stopped at the pet store to pick up the heater they had ordered the wrong one! And this is after petco.com messed up and sent only 1 heater instead of 2 last week! I am so frustrated, it's like someone out there doesn't want my fish I be happy and healthy. And my daughter is going to freak when she hears that fish moving day has been postponed AGAIN - she is so worried her fish is going to die before he gets to move into his new home (the fish is perfectly healthy right now but her previous Betta died suddenly so I understand why she is worried). Argh. I will bookmark this thread so I have all this good advice next week...
Old 11-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #9 
chicagojo

Just wanted to thank those who offered their advice here last week - the second heater finally arrived and over the course of the past few days we got everything set up and I'm happy to announce that our bettas are now enjoying their new homes! Our little guy Rock N Roll is all over the place exploring things - he is so small that even the 2.5G tank seems huge for him. Feathers is in a QT tank right now because of SBD but he's floating in his new tank and getting used to looking at the surroundings - we hope to move him in 8 days when his Epsom treatment is over.

They don't have enough decor/hiding places yet. I was going to put some mugs in there. I'm assuming I should get new mugs, not ones we've been using around the house? Any types of glaze/paint/other materials one should avoid for aquarium use?

Thanks a TON - I'm so happy to finally be providing proper homes for our fish, thanks to all I have learned here!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Awesome....good to hear all is going well......at least for one...the other hopefully will be perked up and ready in no time......

As far as the mugs-if they are human grade and microwave safe-usually they will be free of harmful metals for the fish...if you fear soap residue on the mugs you have...give them a rinse in vinegar to cut the soap residue and then a good clean water rinse after that...I would do this to any new mugs you buy too if you don't want to use the ones you already have....

Hope to see some pics soon too.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote