Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #1 
Ana6

Noob question

Hi,

Hope this is in the right spot. I was just given a betta and from what I've read here, I am going to get a small filtered tank for him.

But, for the next two weeks I need to keep him in a half gallon bowl. I'm thinking of doing 50 per cent water changes every day by siphoning out the water and adding more in. That way he can stay in the bowl

Is that ok or do I need to do something else? I am worried about stressing him out with a lot of moving and netting.

Thanks.
Ana6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #2 
tf1265

50% changes daily are a lot. I would do 50% every other day or 3x a week. Siphoning is a good way to cut down on stress, but could be difficult in a bowl that small. Unfortunately you will want to do a 100% change every once in a while. Many will say 1x per week, I think 1x per 2 weeks would be fine if you are doing frequent partial changes

You will want to try to monitor the temperature of the water as best you can. Make sure you are adding water that has sat out for 24-48 hours (it would be very easy to just leave a gallon jug full between changes, since you're changing such a small amount). That way the water temperature won't vary during the changes. YOu don't mention using a water conditioner, in which case you MUST age the water so the chlorine and chloramines can evaporate- they will harm your fish. You ideally want the water to be 78-82 degrees, but without a heater this will be virtually impossible unless you live in the tropics. Try to keep it at least at or above 72 for the time being.

As long as you keep up with the water changes, he'll be fine. He would probably make it the whole 2 weeks without one, to be honest, but he might not be in great shape afterwards.

What type/size of tank are you planning on getting for him?
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 
Ana6

Thanks for the reply. I am using water conditioner, and I am thinking of getting a 5 gallon tank. Not sure what type yet. The jug is a good idea. If it is sitting next to the bowl, it will be the same temperature.
Ana6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 
tf1265

Great! If you get a 5 gallon with a filter you will have the option of cycling your tank. There are many great step-by-step threads on this site about cycling. It will be much better for your fish, and you won't have to change the water as frequently.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1265 View Post
Great! If you get a 5 gallon with a filter you will have the option of cycling your tank. There are many great step-by-step threads on this site about cycling. It will be much better for your fish, and you won't have to change the water as frequently.

And you can go on vacation without worrying about water changes! Your fish can go at least 2 weeks without eating, but water quality becomes a major problem in that time span in anything less than 5 gallons.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #6 
Myates

You can use a turkey baster daily to get the waste out, so then you could do 50% every other day without the risk of a pile up of ammonia.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote