Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #1 
pyro fiend

posible dropsy?

alright i think my betta that iv had about a week almost 2 has started to get dropsy maybe? :( i clean his 1/2g quarentine kritter keeper 3days a week 50% with same temp water [check the temps before i add them] and a 100% ev sunday[today] anywho.. i noticed today he has a lump under his pelvic fins. it looks dead center and near the center of them.. i just noticed them.. ill try and get a pic. soon.. but its a lil lump looks maybe whitish? i dont know how to treat this at all.. hes my first little guy and dont realy wana loose him but also dont want him to suffer. it must be in early stages cuz i didnt see it the other day and its small looks like a pimple kinda
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 AM   #2 
pyro fiend

these r terrible pics but it shows the bump kinda and how big it is on him

Name:  1031110444-00.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  1031110445-00.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  1031110445-01.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  19.7 KB
Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #3 
Larsa

Id do a full warm water change and QT him in a gal or something smaller with full daily water changes. Add some Epsom salt to his water ( one tsp per gallon ) to act as a laxative ( make him poop! ) It will be normal for him to pass out out a big hunk of poopie if he is truley bloated. I would fast him for a few days. Look for pine-coning scales, pop-eye, and any igns of lethargy. ( dropsy symptoms ) Dropsy is actualy a symtom of organ failure. If his belly doesnt get any smaller within a few days to a week its more than likely filled with fluids from organ problems. :(

♥ Good luck with your fish, dont give up on him please.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 AM   #4 
Myates

As Larsa had said, it looks to be more bloating at this point, and pretty severe.
Is he going into a community tank, and that is why you are keeping him in a half gallon?

Use a gallon water jug (with tap water in it) and pre-mix I'd say 2 tsp of Epsom Salt (per gallon) with water conditioner and use that to help with the 100% daily water changes. You will want to continue that until a couple of days past the last of his bloating. Fast him for 2 days, and feed him tiny amounts after until he is better.

What are you feeding him normally and how much? Bloating usually occurs when being fed too much/often and flakes/freeze dried foods are notorious for causing bloat.

Also, looking at your sig it is telling me you have 2 in a half gallon together?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #5 
pyro fiend

lars: i only have half gallons that can qt him and keep him warm by floating in a bigger heated tank. nothing more. i do hav a 1g bowl but it has my lil girl and its unheated but dont get too cold like low 70sumthng i think maybe less..

myates; i dont beleave its bloating. as this lil guy will only eat as much as he feels fit. i use aqua culture pellets atm [bout to add a more varried diet] and i give him a lil crushed flakes every now and then. and he will only eat a few and just swim around and be happy. i gave him like 10 one time to see how many hed eat [cause there just so small and was b4 got on here] and he only picked up 3 or 4 and just started swimming. and ignored them and let them sink never eating them.. so even if i was over feeding him he is the kinda betta who will nly eat his fill... but no and yes on the comunity. i hahve goldies who he loves but hes a ct and im afraid that theyl nip his fins [heated to 80 and one goldies a tad larger then he is others smaller but alot of room no current and alot of hides]

also 2 half gallons kinda together just moved the other into a 3g sterylite but i had 2 half gallons sititng on opposite sides of the tank to keep them heated and to QT them a wiel wiel also not stressing them bby seeing ea other.

also they wew in a half gallon wiel i got there 40g divided ready. it wont be ready for a few more weeks cause blaze [the first one] was more of a rescue i cldnt stand seeing him die too... so he went into a half g bobbing in the top [i have it taped to the trim so the current dont pull him down or anything and he drown]
Old 10-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Don't keep your bettas in the same tank as your goldfish. Two different species of fish that live in completely separate environments with separate needs.

Bettas like warm; Goldfish like cold. goldfish also need huge spaces (Commet goldfish or feeder goldfish need 20 gal per fish at least since their bodies can stop growing, but their organs cannot). Goldfish also produce a ton of waste, so overall it's not a good idea to house the two species together.

Maybe invest in a 10 gallon, 2 dividers, and a heater to keep all three of your bettas in? I've found they do well in this set up so long as there are plenty of plant and usually a female in the middle (I've had 2 tail biters in this set up but 1 was too aggressive and 1 is still unknown).

Your pictures honestly look more to be bloating. Fast him for a few days and 1 tsp/gal epsom salt should help. Should his poop look stringy and white, start on a parasite med like General Cure or Jungle Anti-parasite Fizzies.

You do vacuum out all the extra food, right? If not, he might be eating the left overs when you're not looking.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #7 
pyro fiend

pat wev been ovr the goldfish thing lik e 3 times now... it heated to let them grow to go with my bigger goldie in the pond by spring.. and ther ein SEPARATE CONTAINERS and when water changes are done it gets SEPARATE water not the goldfishes water.. ik how to take care of my fish my goldfish will be fine in this setup till spring or even late fall a goldie at full length 1 needs 50-75gallon if its common fancys need the 20g min for goldies is sposed to be a 30-40 but shortens health.. and its tripple filtration.. and i do my weekly 25% water changes with them.. im not that dumb ik what im doing.... >.<

and yes i vaccume up the extra pellets from my bettas so they dont eat them later.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

You're wording keeps making me think that you plan on housing them together.

"but no and yes on the comunity. i hahve goldies who he loves but hes a ct and im afraid that theyl nip his fins [heated to 80 and one goldies a tad larger then he is others smaller but alot of room no current and alot of hides"

You said you're afraid they'll nip his fins, which to me is implying that you had planned at some point on housing them together, but thought against it due to the goldfish's tendency to nip fins.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #9 
pyro fiend

yes i thought of it as a temp till i got his other tank cycled but have sofar been against it. but not only because of the fin nipping. i was gona put him in for a few days to see how he acted twards other fish so when i get him into his half of the 40g i know wether he likes fish or if he hates mates.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #10 
Myates

If it were dropsy by that stage you would see other problems alongside of just the bloating. I suggest once more, just as Pala to put him in the Epsom Salt treatment, even if it were dropsy, you would be using Epsom Salt as the treatment as well.

He could still be eating too much for him, as they will eat themselves to bloating/death sometimes. 2-3 pellets is what you are wanting to feed him per meal, twice a day, less pellets per meal if you feed 3+ times a day.

Also, you mentioned "i do hav a 1g bowl but it has my lil girl and its unheated but dont get too cold like low 70sumthng i think maybe less.." I can't be sure if you are saying her bowl temp is in the low 70s or less, or it isn't.. if it is in the low 70s then you definitely want to heat it up to at least 78*.

You can't judge how he is with goldfish to determine how he is with other fish.. as sometimes smaller, schooling fish will stress out a betta more then a few larger, single type fish.

Are you dividing a 40g for all your bettas to share, or are you adding in other fish along with the dividing?

Edit on temp for goldfish:
While goldfish don't like temperatures over 75F, they do seem to like seasonal variations where the temperature falls to the high 50s or 60s) in the winter. Fancier goldfish are an exception and cannot easily tolerate temperatures below about 60F. Be aware that goldfish will not eat below 50-55F. Goldfish are a cold water fish and will do best at temperatures between 65 - 72 F. The Comet Goldfish is one of the most hardy varieties of goldfish and can tolerate temperatures a few degrees above freezing, as long as the cooling drops only a few degrees a day. A quick temperature drop can kill them. So I highly advise to drop the temp of your goldfish tanks to where they would do the best at. 80 is a tropical temp... not suitable for goldfish.

Last edited by Myates; 11-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote