Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #1 
CalvinWill

Do I have a fin biter?

I've had this guy for a few months and his fins have just been getting more and more ragged. I thought it was fin rot, so i upped his cleanings, added much stresscoat+ and moved hime to a 10 gallon that is heated and filtered.

Is this biting?
Attached Images

CalvinWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #2 
Myates

I would have to say yes, you have a fin biter =(
The habit can be tough to break.. he most likely started it in transport prior to you getting him. And stress with a new home, etc just kept it going.

Stress coat is a good thing, just don't add in a ton of it with your regular water conditioner (unless you are using the stress coat as your conditioner). If you're not, then a few drops in with the other conditioner will be fine.

I'd suggest adding in a lot more plants.. bettas tend to like medium-heavy planting, and they can get bored with little in the tank. And some members have had luck stopping it when adding in more plants. Also helps if they get to see people often, they will get lonely all by themselves if left alone too long.

Other then that, keep up with your regular water changes to help prevent rot from forming and see if adding in more plants (real or fake - here is a good cheap site to get some from here. Plastic ones are cheaper just make sure not pointy/sharp.
Is the filter on the lowest setting or baffled? Sometimes too much current can stress them out and with long fins they feel the drag more and can bite.

Unsure what else you could do to help him.. don't add in any salt unless it forms into rot. Hopefully others who have biters can give you more ideas. Wishing you luck.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to say...but it could be...do you have a before pic.....sometimes it can be environment related too....sometimes water flow can damage delicate fins, too rough substrate and other items in the tank can be a cause and oddly enough space itself can be a cause with some long fin males...

When you treated did you have him in a small bare bottom container of some type to help rule out the environment.....what kind of treatment did you do....also, tell us about your source water.....tap, well, R/O etc....and if tap water does it go through a water softening unit of some type (not recommended) and type additives used and diet...also give us a run down on your general husbandry....on both the tank he was in before you moved him to the 10gal- as well as the 10g and how long has he been in it and any tank mates.....all the stats.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #4 
CalvinWill

okay. I was thinking more plants. I can't find a cave that matches my theme, but i guess I'll stop being picky and give him one.

I have read a ton on fin rot and biting, so i think i know what i need to do. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't rot. I've heard that rot can present itself in white edges as well as the normal black, so i was worried.

Some of his fin damage looks very much like his little mouth though....

Shame, his color was really starting to pop after the move to the bigger tank.

Oh, and the filter is on a divided side of the tank. There is little to no current on his side.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #5 
CalvinWill

Here is a before picture. (He was staring down a Red Claw crab who i was told would be a good tank mate, but proved to be a jerk. He was returned 2 days later. The fins got much worse after the red claw left.)

I didn't treat, per say. I had been using Prime conditioner, and was told to mix in a full dose of StressCoat+ and then do 50/50 from there on. I was told stress coat is much better then Prime for fin repair. The suspected fin rot was "treated" with regular water changes and moving him to a more stable environment. I was told the best treatment for fin rot is clean water and calm space.

My water is city tap water with no other filtration. As i said, I use Prime and have started adding StressCoat+.

He was in a 1 gallon unheated unfiltered corner tank. He was with 2 ghost shrimp but 2 weeks ago he chopped them in half with his ninja ways.

Hw is now in a divided 10 gallon. The current on his side is barely enough to move his food when i drop it in. I feed him Bio-Gold and frozen blood worms as a weekly treat.

He has been in the 10 gallon for 5 days. I have not done a water change, but plan to do one today. The tank was new, so no cycle. Should i do a 50%?
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #6 
CalvinWill

18 days later.

I am pretty happy with the way his fins have recovered, but his dorsal still looks a bit off.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

He looks great...good job......a little more time-good nutrition, quality water and the dorsal should fill in nicely.....keep us posted.....love the updated pic....
Old 11-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #8 
CalvinWill

Today he decided he wanted to be a doubletail, i think.

I woke up to find on whole ray on his tail gone clean. He was growing back so beautifully.

Could a bite remove such a large section as this or does it look more like environmental damage? Is there a greater risk of further complication due to it being so near the base of his tail?

Pics attached. It isn't split or blown out. It is gone.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Wow...and he was doing so well too...dang him....its hard to say 100% if its biting or injury...but with the history of tail biting...you almost think that is what happened especially since it happened so fast...but an injury is still possible too.....it will grow back-but sometime the fin will not look the same...I have had them grow back after the tail was bitten off by a marble crayfish all the way to the base...it was a female...but still it did grow back..allbeit a different color......