Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Lightbulb Quick question, old man has a touch of fin rot

Our 3 1/2 year old male betta, Gorton, has a touch of fin rot on the tip of his tail. It doesn't really surprise me, his fins are really brittle and they tend to flake off, as they often do in aging bettas. He's in a 2.5 gallon tank, and he gets twice weekly water changes (one 50% and one 100%), but I think I'm going to have to throw in an extra 50. Anyways, since he's old I'm undecided as to whether adding AQ salt to his water would help him fight the rot off, or whether it would irritate him and make it worse. Any opinions??? Thanks!!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #2 
Myates

I don't think the salt itself should cause too many issues with him and his age. The stress from so many water changes would probably be a bigger factor in it. But he needs to rid the rot.
I would say go ahead and just do 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon, and try to do the daily water changes during part of the day when he is more active- that way you don't disrupt his rest. I know mine get grumpy when I do lol.
10 days would be max, as I'm sure you know.. hopefully that will be enough for him to get rid of it. Poor guy.. but in your hands, he'll be fine and live a full life :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Thanks Myates!!!! I think I'm going to add just a bit of AQ salt, not even 1 tsp per gallon, and stresscoat. It's such a small amount of rot (just the very tip of his tail), I don't think it needs very aggressive treatment. His tail is where most of the flaking occurs anyway, so the rotten part will probably just fall off on its own any day now lol. Thanks again!!! =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote